Help with Hooke's Law Constant and Rubber Bands

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find three different names for the constant between length and force in Hooke's law, as well as the reason why rubber bands get shorter when stretched by force. The suggestion is made to look up terms such as stiffness and permanent deformation in a physics book for possible answers.
allyalt
Help me??

I need to find three different names for the constant between length and force in hooke's law. I also need to find out why, when rubber bands are stretched by force, at a certain force, they actually get shorter. can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

I need to find three different names for the constant between length and force in hooke's law. I also need to find out why, when rubber bands are stretched by force, at a certain force, they actually get shorter. can anyone help?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the only idea i have for why it gets shorter is because of temperature when the band is streched out. but i have no idea if that is accurate.

Let's see, Hooke's law often deals with a spring under force. Look up each of these words as partial terms for the constant in your physics book. Stiffness (check it out first so you can back it up) is a term that might wow your professor.

Get shorter? It's a critical point where the band permanently deforms. See if your book yields the answer.

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force required to stretch or compress a spring or elastic material is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed.

2. How do you calculate the Hooke's Law constant?

The Hooke's Law constant, also known as the spring constant, can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance it is stretched or compressed. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the constant, F is the force, and x is the distance.

3. What are the units of the Hooke's Law constant?

The units of the Hooke's Law constant depend on the units used for force and distance. In the SI system, the units are Newtons per meter (N/m).

4. How does the Hooke's Law constant vary for different materials?

The Hooke's Law constant can vary for different materials based on their elasticity. Materials with higher elasticity, such as rubber bands, have a lower constant, while materials with lower elasticity, such as steel, have a higher constant.

5. How can Hooke's Law be applied in everyday life?

Hooke's Law can be applied in everyday life in various ways, such as in the design of springs for vehicles or in the construction of buildings to withstand strong winds. It can also be used in simple experiments, like stretching a rubber band, to demonstrate the relationship between force and distance in elastic materials.