How does doubling the force affect the motion of a box being pushed?

• Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Forces
In summary, when exerting a constant horizontal force on a large box, the box will move across a horizontal floor at a constant speed v0. If the force is doubled, the box will accelerate due to the net force being greater than the force of friction. This can be determined using the equation a = F/m.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

You exert a constant horizontal force on a large box. As a result the box moves across a horizontal floor at a constant speed v0.

If you double the constant horizontal force on the box, how would the box then move?

Homework Equations

F = ma = m dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this question is a tad confusing to me, if the box is moving at a constant speed v0 then I have to assume that I would just push the box for an instant & then get it to move at a constant v0.

If I were to double the force, then I would think that the speed would then be 2v0, however this is not the case... (dv/dt is proportional to F)

Can anyone explain how to determine the motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
jesuslovesu said:
Well, this question is a tad confusing to me, if the box is moving at a constant speed v0 then I have to assume that I would just push the box for an instant & then get it to move at a constant v0.
You are misinterpreting the problem. The only reason the box continues moving at constant speed is because you keep pushing with the constant horizontal force. Hint: What's the net force acting on the box? What other force must be acting on the box?

Thanks for your reply
Alright so if I draw a free body diagram and add in friction I can see
ma = F - Ff
Since the velocity is constant a = 0 so
F = Ff

So if I double F to 2F, then it's accelerating?
2F - Ff = ma
F = ma
a = F/m ?

Last edited:
Very good!

1. What is the force required to push a box?

The force required to push a box depends on several factors such as the weight of the box, the friction between the box and the surface it is on, and the force of gravity. The formula to calculate the force needed to push a box is F = μmg, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the box, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the angle of the push affect the force needed to move a box?

The angle of the push can affect the force needed to move a box. If the push is perpendicular to the surface, the force required will be greater compared to a push at an angle. This is because the perpendicular force is working against the force of gravity, while the angled force is partially working with the force of gravity.

3. What are the different types of forces involved in pushing a box?

The main forces involved in pushing a box are the force of gravity, the normal force, and the force of friction. The force of gravity pulls the box towards the ground, the normal force is the support force exerted by the surface on the box, and the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the push, making it more difficult to move the box.

4. How does the weight of the box affect the force needed to push it?

The weight of the box directly affects the force needed to push it. The heavier the box, the more force will be required to overcome the force of gravity and friction. This is why it is easier to push a lighter box compared to a heavier one.

5. What is the role of inertia in pushing a box?

Inertia is an object's resistance to change its state of motion. In the case of pushing a box, the box's inertia will determine how difficult it is to start and stop its motion. A box with more mass will have more inertia and will require more force to overcome it and move it.