Electron mobility in copper

In summary, the conversation is about calculating electron mobility in a copper wire given its length, radius, current, voltage drop, and proportion of free electrons to copper atoms. The formula \sigma = n_{e}\mu_{e} is provided, but the issue is translating the proportion of free electrons to copper atoms correctly. It is suggested to use the ratio of one free electron to one copper atom and to write down the calculations to find the density of free electrons.
Staudinger
Hey all,

I have a pretty straightforward question about electron mobility in metals. We are given the length of a copper wire, it's radius, the current flowing through it, voltage drop across it, and the proportion of free electrons to copper atoms. I've found the current density, conductivity, resistance and resistivity of the wire, but I can't figure out how to calculate the electron mobility. We were given a few equations, one of which was specifically for metals,

[tex]\sigma[/tex] = [tex]n_{e}\mu_{e}[/tex]

in which
[tex]\sigma[/tex] is conductivity
q is the charge of an electron
[tex]\mu_{e}[/tex] is the the mobility of electrons
[tex]n_{e}[/tex] is the density of free electrons

My problem is that I don't know how to translate the proportion of free electrons to copper atoms correctly. I tried using the ratio, which came out much too high, something like 10^24. We are not given the density of copper atoms in the wire, but I can find it in an appendix. Would it make sense to figure out how many copper electrons are in a cubic cm, and use that to find the density of free electrons?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I feel as though I'm missing out on the aha! moment that would pull this all together.

Thanks!
Staudy

Physics news on Phys.org
There is one free electron to one copper atom, if that's what's stopping you.

Why don't you just write down your calculations. It can't be very long.

Hello Staudy,

Calculating electron mobility in copper involves understanding the relationship between the density of free electrons and the density of copper atoms in the wire. The ratio of free electrons to copper atoms is typically very small, on the order of 10^-6. This means that for every million copper atoms, there is only one free electron available for conduction.

To calculate electron mobility, you can use the formula you mentioned, \sigma = n_{e}\mu_{e}. However, instead of using the ratio of free electrons to copper atoms, you should use the actual density of free electrons in the wire. This can be calculated by multiplying the density of copper atoms by the proportion of free electrons to copper atoms. As you suggested, you can find the density of copper atoms in an appendix or by doing some research.

Once you have the density of free electrons, you can rearrange the equation to solve for electron mobility, \mu_{e} = \sigma / n_{e}. This will give you the mobility of electrons in units of meters squared per volt-second (m^2/Vs).

I hope this helps and leads you to your "aha!" moment. Keep up the good work!

Best,

What is electron mobility in copper?

Electron mobility in copper refers to the ability of electrons to move freely through the copper material. It is a measure of how quickly and easily electrons can move through a copper conductor.

How is electron mobility measured in copper?

Electron mobility in copper is typically measured in units of meters squared per volt-second (m^2/Vs). This value is calculated by measuring the ratio of current density to electric field strength in a copper sample.

What factors affect electron mobility in copper?

Several factors can affect electron mobility in copper, including temperature, impurities, and crystal structure. Higher temperatures can increase electron mobility, while impurities and defects in the crystal structure can decrease it.

Why is electron mobility important in copper?

Electron mobility is important in copper because it determines the efficiency of electrical conduction in the material. Higher electron mobility allows for faster and more efficient electrical transmission, which is crucial in many applications such as electronic devices and power distribution.

How does electron mobility in copper compare to other metals?

Copper has a relatively high electron mobility compared to other metals, making it a popular choice for electrical wiring and other applications where fast and efficient conduction is necessary. However, some metals such as silver and gold have even higher electron mobility than copper.