LQG: Gauge Theory, Holonomies, Ashtekar's GR, Loop Representation

In summary: In the case of GR the background is the topology of the spacetime itself, and diffeomorphisms are all possible deformations of the spacetime, so it is a very natural background in this theory.
Coin
So I'm trying to read through Baez&Muniain's "Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity". One thing I was particularly hoping to get out of this was a specific understanding of what a "holonomy group" is. In the relevant section (p. 231-233 in the version I'm looking at), Baez& describe a holonomy by starting with the idea of parallel transport from one fiber of a bundle to another along a path: they note that it is possible to parallel-transport from a fiber back to that same fiber, by using a path that returns to its original point to form a loop; and since the result of such a parallel transport is path-dependent then with some paths it is possible for the contents of the vector to be transformed by the time it returns to its starting point. Therefore any loop on a connection defines a map from the fiber to itself, and they say that such a map is a "holonomy". Okay, so far so good; I imagine then that the holonomy group of a connection would be the group of all such maps.

However, then they say something I found very startling:

The notion of holonomy plays a basic role in gauge theories of physics. An example that we have already seen in electromagnetism is the phase a charged particle's wavefunction is multiplied by when the particle is moved around a loop. The phase is an element of the group U(1), the gauge group of electromagnetism. Recently there has been a lot of work on formulating gauge theories completely (or as much as possible) in terms of holonomies around loops. This approach, called the 'loop representation' of a gauge theory, has been used in quantum chromodynamics starting in the late 1970s. In 1990, Rovelli and Smolin published a paper in which they used Ashtekar's formulation of general relativity as an SL(2, C) gauge theory to construct a loop representation of quantum gravity...

Whoa! I've never heard either Ashtekar's formulation or the loop representation described this way-- Ashtekar's variables have always been described to me as something like reformulating GR "in terms of the connection rather than the metric", and I've never seen any link discussed between loop representations and gauges at all-- so I guess I'm just trying to figure out what to make of this.

Is Ashtekar's formulation of GR really a gauge theory? (And I almost hesitate to ask this, but didn't we just hear a bunch last month about how you can't trivially make a gauge theory of gravity because of the Coleman-Mandula theorem? Or does that not matter because GR is a theory of only spacetime/gravity and Coleman-Mandula is about unification theories..?)

Is there some reason I've never heard Ashtekar's variables described this way before? Am I just missing some kind of obvious thing where someone more familiar with gauge theories than me would find it obvious what the link is between Ashtekar's approach (which I had thought was in some abstract sense all about connections, but frankly I probably just misunderstand completely) and gauge symmetry?

And finally, if it is indeed accurate to describe the loop representation approach as "analyzing a gauge theory in terms of holonomies": so then can any gauge theory be loop representation-ified, the same way Ashtekar's GR was? Electromagnetism? The Standard Model? Lisi/E8?

Baez& eventually try to describe holonomy as really describing the curvature of the connection, but they don't bring up the gauge thing again in that section that I see and it's not clear to me from anything they say what if anything the relationship is which holonomy/curvature has to the presence of a gauge or gauge symmetry. If you loop-representation-ify a gauge theory does there turn out to be some sort of relationship between the resulting holonomy group and the original gauge group, or something? That's what their comment about phase shifting in electromagnetism seems to imply...

Sorry if these questions are a little messy, I'm just kind of confused here :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coin said:
Is Ashtekar's formulation of GR really a gauge theory?

Yes, at least that is my understanding. A background independent gauge theory (in the sense that the underlying manifold has no fixed metric, such as you might have in other cases of a gauge theory.)

...Or does that not matter because GR is a theory of only spacetime/gravity and Coleman-Mandula is about unification theories..?

I think that is right. these are good questions. I hope someone else will reply to you more knowledgeably and completely.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a gauge theory. A theory with a connection as basic ingredient is pretty much the definition of gauge theory as far as I can tell. In an even more general usage every theory with constraints is.

Yes you could try for a loop representation of other gauge theories (and this was tried before Rovelli/Smolin) but you'd get highly non-seperable hilbertspaces, because the background would allow you to distinguish between every infinitesimally different loop. You'd get different orthogonal states for every possible embedding of every possible graph into your manifold. The representation is far to singular to be made sense of physically.

Diffeomorphisms relate these different embeddings, thus the loop representation starts to become a viable tool.

1. What is Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG)?

Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that space and time are quantized, meaning they are made up of discrete, indivisible units. This theory is still being developed and is not yet a complete theory of quantum gravity.

2. What is Gauge Theory?

Gauge Theory is a mathematical framework that describes the interactions between particles and fields. It uses mathematical symmetries to explain the behavior of physical phenomena. In terms of Loop Quantum Gravity, Gauge Theory is used to describe the way in which particles and fields interact with the quantized space-time.

3. What are Holonomies in LQG?

Holonomies in LQG are operators that represent the parallel transport of a particle or field around a closed loop in space-time. They play a crucial role in the theory, as they are used to construct the quantum states of space-time. Holonomies are closely related to the concept of curvature in general relativity.

4. What is Ashtekar's General Relativity?

Ashtekar's General Relativity is a reformulation of Einstein's theory of general relativity using mathematical concepts from the field of differential geometry. In this formulation, space-time is described as a connection, rather than a metric. Ashtekar's General Relativity is used as a starting point for the development of Loop Quantum Gravity.

5. What is Loop Representation in LQG?

Loop Representation is a mathematical approach used in LQG to describe the quantum states of space-time. It represents space-time as a network of loops, and the quantum states are constructed by quantizing the holonomies along these loops. This approach is in contrast to other theories of quantum gravity, which often use the concept of a continuous, smooth space-time.