Deflection of an electron due to gravity.

In summary, during JJ Thomson's experiment, the effects of gravity were negated by the application of a magnetic field perpendicular to the electric field. The deflection due to gravity was not important in the experiment. The deflection angle was calculated using the velocity, time, distance, and deflection angle. The calculated angle did not match the expected result, but was close. The use of General Relativity was not necessary in this experiment.
theinfojunkie

Homework Statement

There are two parts to the question.
A)Why is gravity not important during JJ Thomsons experiment?
b)what is the deflection due to gravity?
Given variables.
In a thomson spectromoter set at 10^4 (V/m). deflection without the magnetic field applied equals .10 radians over a L of .050 m.
Speed of electron with magnetic field applied is 2.9x10^7 m/s.
Strength of Magnetic field is 3.4x10^-4 T.

Homework Equations

I don't know what they are...

The Attempt at a Solution

A) in the experiment the effects of gravity were negated by the application of a magnetic field perpendicular to that of the electric field, to help over come any deflection caused by gravity.
B) I really don't know how to go about this.
EDIT:
I thought about it a little more...would I just be using the velocity, time distance and deflection angle to solve this??
Like...a particle fired at a zero degree angle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright so as far as I have it figured.
v(y) = gt

then take v(y)/v(x) and take the inverse tan of it to get the answer.
It gives the angle of deflection in radians. The answer I got does not match that of the book but is close enough. It's a very small number.
the answer the book was looking for was 10^-15 m.

Now if it's done by taking .5(at^2) i get another answer, but the order is wrong. It comes out to something like 1.7x10^-17 or something or other. Any ideas what exactly they did??

theinfojunkie said:
Any ideas what exactly they did??
is it a GR problem or wat do you need to use GR Action or What?

General Relatvity??
No it is not. The speed is to slow.

1. How does gravity affect the deflection of an electron?

Gravity has a significant effect on the deflection of an electron. As the electron has a negative charge, it is attracted to the positive mass or energy that creates the gravitational field. This attraction causes the electron to change its path and be deflected.

2. What is the formula for calculating the deflection of an electron due to gravity?

The formula for calculating the deflection of an electron due to gravity is given by F = qE + qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the electron, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the electron, and B is the magnetic field.

3. How does the mass of the electron affect its deflection due to gravity?

The mass of the electron does not have a significant effect on its deflection due to gravity. The force of gravity acting on the electron is very small compared to the electric and magnetic forces, which are responsible for the deflection.

4. Can the deflection of an electron due to gravity be observed in everyday life?

No, the deflection of an electron due to gravity is not observable in everyday life as it requires specialized equipment and very precise measurements. This phenomenon is mainly studied in particle accelerators and other high-energy experiments.

5. Is the deflection of an electron due to gravity affected by the direction of the electron's motion?

Yes, the deflection of an electron due to gravity is affected by the direction of its motion. The direction of the force acting on the electron determines the direction of its deflection, which can be influenced by the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields.