Should We Impose the Tax on the Producer or Consumer? Employer or Employee?

• News
  • Thread starter Economist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    taxes
In summary, the question of who to "place" a tax on is often brought up in policy debates, but it ultimately does not matter who the tax is imposed on as the effects will be the same. Politicians may try to shift the tax onto others, but in reality, it will affect everyone. This concept is often misunderstood, even by those in the political debate. It is a common misconception that workers would rather have the tax imposed on firms, while firms would rather have it imposed on workers. However, the true incidence of the tax is determined by the way the competitive market operates. This can be seen in the example of phone companies passing on taxes and fees to consumers through charges on their phone bills. This may not be intuitive
Economist
The question of who to "place" a tax on is often brought up in policy debates. For example, people often ask, "Should we impose the tax on the producer or consumer?" or "Should we impose the tax on the employer or employee?"

In reality, this is pretty much a trivial question, because in reality it does not matter who the tax is imposed on, the effects of the tax will be identical. Often times it seems that politicians are able to convince people that the tax won't really effect them, by essentially stating "We'll impose the tax on the other guy." Since most people are employees and most people are consumers more than they are producers, it will usually work out that people will try and place the tax on producers and employers, but in actuality it doesn't even matter.

I think this is incredibly interesting, because in my opinion it's very counterintuitive. I remember how puzzled I was when I first heard this, I thought to myself "It can't be." Anyway, here's some resources to back up my claim.

From Greg Mankiw's blog: http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2008/01/taxes-dont-stay-where-you-put-them.html

Taxes don't stay where you put them

What a shock: A tax on producers gets shifted to consumers. The Gazette (via The Misfit) reports

Quebec energy consumers - not just energy producers - are the ones who will end up paying for the province's new green fund. The bills are in the mail.

It wasn't supposed to be this way: When the provincial government imposed the country's first carbon tax last fall, it wanted producers to pay.

But just as oil refiners have already done, Gaz Métro started passing on the cost of the carbon tax this month.

Even the basic lessons of tax incidence, taught in the first few weeks of ec 10, come as a surprise to some people.

From pages 172 - 174 of George Borjas's textbook titled "Labor Economics":

The political debate over payroll taxes often makes it appear that workers are better off when the payroll tax is assessed on the firm, rather than on the worker. In short, there seems to be an implicit assumption that most workers would rather see the payroll tax impsoed on the firms, whereas most firms would rather see the payroll tax imposed on workers. It turns out, however, that this assumption represents a complete misunderstanding of how a competitive labor market works. It does not matter whether the tax is imposed on the worker or firms. The impact of the tax on wages and employment is the same regardless of how the legislation is written. [page 172]

This result illustrates a principle that is worth remembering: The true incidence of the payroll tax (that is, who pays what) has little to do with the way the tax law is written or the way the tax is collected. In the end, the true incidence of the tax is determined by the way the competitive market operates. Even though a payroll tax assessed on the firm shifts down the demand curve, it has the same labor market impact as a revenue-equivalent payroll tax assessed on workers (which shifts up the supply curve). [page 173]

The more inelastic the supply curve, therefore, the greater the fraction of the payroll taxes that workers end up paying. [page 174]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Economist said:
I think this is incredibly interesting, because in my opinion it's very counterintuitive. I remember how puzzled I was when I first heard this, I thought to myself "It can't be." Anyway, here's some resources to back up my claim.

From Greg Mankiw's blog: http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2008/01/taxes-dont-stay-where-you-put-them.html

Taxes don't stay where you put them

What a shock: A tax on producers gets shifted to consumers. The Gazette (via The Misfit) reports

Quebec energy consumers - not just energy producers - are the ones who will end up paying for the province's new green fund. The bills are in the mail.

It wasn't supposed to be this way: When the provincial government imposed the country's first carbon tax last fall, it wanted producers to pay.

But just as oil refiners have already done, Gaz Métro started passing on the cost of the carbon tax this month.

What is surprising? A good example is your phone bill. The phone companies are required to pay special taxes and fees and they then pass these on to the consumer with charges such as CUSC, USF, Federal Regulatory Recovery, Presubscribed Line Charge, Carrier Property tax. Any time costs increase for a business, it cuts into their profits, so they will usually pass that on to the consumer in some form.

You said that you are taking a class in Economics in school right now. Is this your first exposure to Economics?

Evo said:
What is surprising? A good example is your phone bill. The phone companies are required to pay special taxes and fees and they then pass these on to the consumer with charges such as CUSC, USF, Federal Regulatory Recovery, Presubscribed Line Charge, Carrier Property tax. Any time costs increase for a business, it cuts into their profits, so they will usually pass that on to the consumer in some form.

I thought it was somewhat suprising when I learned about it in an economics class I took awhile ago. I didn't think it was the most intuitive thing, but I was fairly ignorant about anything that had to do with economics at that time. I don't think this is intuitive to everyone, I mean if you gave this as a test question and asked a random sample of the population, I think you'd find that the overwhelming majority of people would miss the question.

You're absolutely right, that when you impose a cost on the business it will try to pass these costs along to consumers. However, the companies ability to pass on such costs will mainly depend on the elasticity of demand. I guess if people really wanted the business to bare the brunt of the tax, they could just mainly tax markets where the demand is fairly elastic (although this would possibly create other problems and negative unintended consequences to consumers).

Evo said:
You said that you are taking a class in Economics in school right now. Is this your first exposure to Economics?

Yeah, I am taking a course in economics right now. No, it's not my first exposure to economics, in fact it's advanced microeconomics (interesting class, but highly mathematical (at least for me)). I've probably taken about 10 undergraduate courses in economics, and I generally read a lot of economics related stuff in my spare time. My first economics course was in high school, but that doesn't count because they taught it horribly (I took nothing away from that course). My first quarter of college (a little over 4 years ago) I took introductory microeconomics, and have been hooked ever since.

Economist said:
The question of who to "place" a tax on is often brought up in policy debates. For example, people often ask, "Should we impose the tax on the producer or consumer?" or "Should we impose the tax on the employer or employee?"

In reality, this is pretty much a trivial question, because in reality it does not matter who the tax is imposed on, the effects of the tax will be identical. Often times it seems that politicians are able to convince people that the tax won't really effect them, by essentially stating "We'll impose the tax on the other guy." Since most people are employees and most people are consumers more than they are producers, it will usually work out that people will try and place the tax on producers and employers, but in actuality it doesn't even matter.

Yup. Learned this back in Microecon 101. Taxes on the producer always end up being paid by both the producer and consumer.

1. Should we impose the tax on the producer or consumer?

The answer to this question depends on various factors such as the purpose of the tax, the type of product or service being taxed, and the economic impact on both the producer and consumer. In general, imposing the tax on the producer may result in higher prices for the consumer, while imposing it on the consumer may lead to a decrease in demand for the product. Ultimately, the decision should be based on a thorough analysis of the potential effects on both parties.

2. What is the difference between taxing the employer or the employee?

Taxing the employer means that the tax is directly imposed on the company or organization that employs individuals. On the other hand, taxing the employee means that the tax is deducted from the employee's wages. The decision on who should bear the tax burden depends on various factors such as the type of tax, the industry, and the economic impact on the employer and employee.

3. How does the decision to impose tax on the producer or consumer affect the economy?

The decision to impose tax on either the producer or consumer can have significant effects on the economy. For example, if the tax is imposed on the producer, it may lead to an increase in production costs, which can result in higher prices for consumers. This may lead to a decrease in demand for the product, which can have a negative impact on the economy. On the other hand, imposing the tax on the consumer may lead to a decrease in purchasing power, which can also have a negative impact on the economy.

4. How do we determine the amount of tax to be imposed?

The amount of tax to be imposed is determined by various factors such as the purpose of the tax, the type of product or service being taxed, and the economic impact on both the producer and consumer. In some cases, the government may conduct research and analysis to determine the appropriate amount of tax to be imposed. In other cases, it may be based on negotiations between the government and the industry or stakeholders.

5. What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of imposing tax on the producer or consumer?

The potential benefits of imposing tax on the producer may include generating revenue for the government, encouraging more responsible production practices, and reducing the consumption of certain goods or services. However, it may also lead to higher prices for consumers, decreased demand, and potential job losses. On the other hand, taxing the consumer may result in a decrease in demand for the product, which can have a negative impact on the economy. It may also lead to a decrease in purchasing power for individuals. However, it can also potentially discourage consumption of certain goods or services and generate revenue for the government.