Calculating Alloy Strength with Dispersed Particles: Expert Help Needed

• Thread starter maha1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the new strength of an alloy after ageing it to an overaged condition and adding dispersed particles. The data provided includes the initial shear yield strength, the average centre to centre spacing and particle diameter of the dispersed particles, and the Burgers vector and shear modulus of the alloy. The group is struggling to calculate the initial yield strength in order to determine the new strength of the alloy. The conversation also mentions that the yield strength of alloys is dependent on various factors.
maha1986
Major stuck on a question for my assignment, totally wracked my brain and my mates too! here is the qtn

An alloy has an initial shear yield strength. After ageing to an overaged condition the matrix now contains particles where the average centre to centre spacing is 275nm. The average particle diameter is 75nm. Determine the new strength of the alloy taking into account the strengthing contribution from the disperesd particles.

Data

Burgers vector the dislocation= 0.286nm
shear modulas of the alloy 80GPa

We have worked out the addiitional strenght but can't seem to work out the initial to add it to the additional to work out the new!

Please please, anybody... help me

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know the alloy, you're not going to be able to estimate its initial yield strength (in the lack of any strengthening particles) with any precision. As you probably know, the yield strength of alloys depends on many things, including the component metals, the grain size, and the dislocation density.

Hello,

I understand that you are stuck on a question for your assignment regarding the calculation of alloy strength with dispersed particles. This can be a challenging topic, but I am here to help.

Firstly, let's review the information provided in the question. We have an alloy with an initial shear yield strength, which has been aged to an overaged condition. This means that the matrix now contains particles with an average spacing of 275nm and an average diameter of 75nm. We also have the following data: the Burgers vector of the dislocation is 0.286nm and the shear modulus of the alloy is 80GPa.

To determine the new strength of the alloy, we need to take into account the contribution from the dispersed particles. This contribution is known as the Orowan strengthening mechanism. It is caused by the interaction between the dislocations and the particles, which creates an additional force that resists the movement of dislocations.

In order to calculate the new strength of the alloy, we need to first determine the additional strength provided by the dispersed particles. This can be calculated using the following formula:

σ_O = Gb/λ

Where:
σ_O = additional strength
G = shear modulus of the alloy
b = Burgers vector
λ = average spacing between particles

Substituting the values given in the question, we get:

σ_O = (80GPa)(0.286nm)/(275nm) = 0.083 GPa

Now, to determine the new strength of the alloy, we need to add the additional strength to the initial strength. However, the initial strength is not given in the question. It is possible that it was given in a previous part of the question or it needs to be calculated using other information. I suggest reviewing the previous parts of the question or checking if there is any other information provided that can help you calculate the initial strength.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your assignment!

What is the meaning of "Need Major Help please"?

The phrase "Need Major Help please" is often used to express a sense of urgency and desperation for assistance with a difficult or challenging situation. It can refer to a variety of problems, from personal issues to professional or academic difficulties.

Why do people use the phrase "Need Major Help please"?

People use this phrase to quickly and clearly convey the severity of their situation and to request assistance from others. It is a direct and concise way of expressing the need for help.

What kind of help is usually requested with the phrase "Need Major Help please"?

The type of help requested with this phrase can vary widely, depending on the individual's specific situation. It could be anything from needing help with a project or assignment, to seeking advice or emotional support for a personal issue.

How can I offer help to someone who says "Need Major Help please"?

If someone uses this phrase, it is likely that they are feeling overwhelmed and in need of assistance. The best way to offer help is to simply ask what they need and listen to their response. Be patient, understanding, and willing to offer support in any way you can.

Is it appropriate to use the phrase "Need Major Help please" in a professional setting?

It depends on the context and the relationship between colleagues. In some cases, it may be appropriate to use this phrase to express a sense of urgency and seek help from coworkers. However, it is important to use discretion and considerate communication when using this phrase in a professional setting.