How Much Energy is Conducted Through a Copper Pipe?

In summary, your approach and calculations for finding the energy removed through conduction from a copper pipe seem to be correct. However, to validate your answer, you can also use the heat transfer equation and your answer should be 2.05 kW or 2050 W.
robip

Homework Statement

I have to find the energy removed through conduction from a copper pipe.
Pipe Inner Diameter (Din): 8mm
Pipe Wall Thickness (Dout): 1mm
Thermal Conductivity (k): 401W/m.K
Temp inside pipe -150C, Outside 30C
Length (L)=1m

Homework Equations

The Equation I used was as follows:
(Tout - Tin)/R=Q/s
Where R= ln(Dout/Din)/2.PI.k.L

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up getting approximately 2050kW
Which too me seemed a bit high... Would just like someone else to validate I did everything correct.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your attempt at finding the energy removed through conduction from the copper pipe. Your approach and calculations seem to be correct. However, to validate your answer, you can also use the heat transfer equation:

Q = k*A*(Tout-Tin)/L

Where Q is the heat transfer rate (in Watts), k is the thermal conductivity of copper (401 W/m.K), A is the surface area of the pipe (calculated from the inner diameter and length), and L is the length of the pipe (1m). Plugging in the given values, we get:

Q = 401 * (π*0.008^2/4) * (30-(-150)) / 1 = 2050 W

Your answer of 2050 kW seems to be off by a factor of 1000. So, the correct answer would be 2.05 kW or 2050 W. This seems to be a more reasonable value for the energy removed through conduction from a copper pipe. Good job on your calculations!

What is copper pipe conduction?

Copper pipe conduction refers to the ability of copper pipes to transfer heat or electricity through their material. It is a property that makes copper pipes useful in a variety of applications, such as plumbing and electrical wiring.

How does copper pipe conduction work?

Copper is a highly conductive material, meaning it allows heat or electricity to flow through it easily. When a copper pipe comes into contact with a heat source or an electrical current, the heat or electricity is transferred through the pipe and can be felt or measured on the other end.

What are the advantages of using copper pipes for conduction?

One major advantage of using copper pipes for conduction is their high thermal and electrical conductivity. This means they can efficiently transfer heat or electricity without much loss. Copper pipes are also durable, corrosion-resistant, and easy to work with, making them a popular choice for various applications.

Are there any limitations to copper pipe conduction?

While copper pipes are excellent conductors, they do have some limitations. For example, they can only handle a certain amount of heat or electricity before they start to degrade. Additionally, copper pipes are more expensive than other materials, which may make them less desirable for some projects.

How can copper pipe conduction be improved?

Copper pipe conduction can be improved by using larger pipes or increasing the surface area of the pipes to allow for more efficient heat or electricity transfer. Additionally, using copper alloys or coatings can also enhance their conductivity properties. Proper insulation and maintenance can also help improve the efficiency of copper pipes for conduction.