How Do You Calculate Buoyant Force on an Iceberg?

In summary, the buoyant force acting on the iceberg can be calculated by multiplying the area of cross section of the iceberg with its submerged part, and then multiplying that with the density of water. This will give the weight of water displaced, which is equal to the buoyant force acting on the iceberg.
Milad_1989

Homework Statement

Iceberg area: 3.10x10^4 km^2, Flat top and bottom.
Submerged part .84 km.
Water density: 1.035x10^3

what is the buoyant force acting on the iceberg?

Homework Equations

Fb=Fg pf object of subject = P0V0g
PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid=p0v0g=weight of object
Vu=v0-vf=v0-(p0v0g/pfg)=v0(1-(po/pf)

I have spend now over 2 hours trying to solve this problem, but no success... Can any help me solve it... driving me crazy..
Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
Milad_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Iceberg area: 3.10x10^4 km^2, Flat top and bottom.
Submerged part .84 km.
Water density: 1.035x10^3

what is the buoyant force acting on the iceberg?

Homework Equations

Fb=Fg pf object of subject = P0V0g
PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid=p0v0g=weight of object
Vu=v0-vf=v0-(p0v0g/pfg)=v0(1-(po/pf)

I have spend now over 2 hours trying to solve this problem, but no success... Can any help me solve it... driving me crazy..
Thanks in advance..

If the area you mentioned is the area of cross section of the iceberg. Assuming that the iceberg has uniform shape, the volume of iceberg submerged= Iceberg area*Submerged part
the volume of water displaced will be=volume of iceberg submerged= Iceberg area*Submerged part

Buoyant force acting on it=Weight of water displaced=Volume of water displaced*density of water

I wonder if it helps!

Thanks, I was over-thinking it and i cannot believe it is so simple.

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water) on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How do you calculate buoyant force?

Buoyant force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula is Fb = ρVg, where Fb is buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect buoyant force?

The buoyant force on an object is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by the shape and size of the object, as well as the depth at which it is submerged.

4. How does buoyant force relate to Archimedes' Principle?

Buoyant force is directly related to Archimedes' Principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This principle helps explain why objects float or sink in fluids.

5. What is an example of a buoyant force problem?

An example of a buoyant force problem could be calculating the buoyant force on a boat that is floating in a lake. This would involve using the formula Fb = ρVg and considering the density of the water, the volume of the boat, and the acceleration due to gravity.