Phased antenna array equations

In summary, the equations for a phased antenna array are determined by the individual element gain and the number of elements, as well as the aperture of the array. These equations can be found in various sources, such as the website Microwaves 101 and the book "Antenna" by Stutzman and Thiele. Additional resources and links can also be found on the Wikipedia page for phased arrays.
linear_shift
What are the equations for a phased antenna array due to:

1. Individual element gain and the number of elements
2. Aperture of the array

I have been googling these for god knows how long and can't find the slightest hint, except the site Microwaves 101 (http://www.microwaves101.com/), which left out the f-ing equation I described in number one. I am building a phased array radio telescope for the UHF band (out of TV antennas) and am in dire need of these equations. Thanks, ls.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's some math and other links at the wikipedia.org entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array

I haven't worked with arrays much, but my Antenna book by Stutzman and Thiele has a pretty good section in it. Do you have access to this book, or any other antenna books?

Hello ls,

Thank you for your question about phased antenna array equations. Phased antenna arrays are a type of antenna system that use multiple antenna elements to produce a directional beam. The equations for a phased antenna array are dependent on two key factors: the individual element gain and the number of elements, and the aperture of the array.

1. Individual element gain and the number of elements:

The equation for the total gain of a phased antenna array is given by:

Gtotal = Gelement * N

Where Gtotal is the total gain of the array, Gelement is the gain of each individual element, and N is the number of elements in the array.

2. Aperture of the array:

The aperture of an antenna array is the effective area of the array that captures and focuses the incoming signals. The equation for the aperture of a phased antenna array is given by:

A = λ^2 / (4π * θ)

Where A is the aperture, λ is the wavelength of the signal, and θ is the half-power beamwidth of the array.

I hope this helps in your project. Best of luck with your phased array radio telescope!

1. What is a phased antenna array?

A phased antenna array is a group of individual antennas that work together to create a directional radiation pattern. This means that the antennas are synchronized in such a way that they focus their energy in a specific direction, allowing for better signal strength and reception in that direction.

2. What is the purpose of phased antenna array equations?

The purpose of phased antenna array equations is to determine the appropriate phase shifts and amplitudes for each individual antenna in the array in order to achieve the desired radiation pattern. These equations take into account factors such as the desired direction of the radiation, the frequency of the signal, and the spacing between the antennas.

3. How do phased antenna array equations work?

Phased antenna array equations use mathematical calculations to determine the phase shift and amplitude for each antenna in an array. These equations often involve trigonometric functions and complex numbers, and can be solved using various methods such as the matrix method or the Fourier transform method.

4. What are the main factors that affect phased antenna array equations?

The main factors that affect phased antenna array equations include the desired direction of radiation, the frequency of the signal, the number and spacing of the antennas in the array, and the characteristics of the individual antennas themselves. Other factors, such as environmental conditions and interference, may also need to be taken into account.

5. How are phased antenna array equations used in practical applications?

Phased antenna array equations are used in a variety of practical applications, such as radar systems, satellite communication, and wireless networks. They are also used in military technology, such as missile guidance systems and electronic warfare. By using these equations, engineers and scientists can design and optimize antenna arrays for specific purposes and environments.