Volunteering opportunities within Physics

• Thread starter Barny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Japanese?In summary, Luke is about to start a Masters in Physics and plans to pursue a Phd after. He is interested in volunteering abroad for 3 months before starting his Phd. He has considered teaching but lacks experience and qualifications. He asks for advice on potential opportunities and resources for teaching or volunteering. Some suggestions include the Peace Corps, teaching English in Asia, and tutoring in Physics or Mathematics. It is also mentioned that he could offer re-certification courses for teachers.
Barny
Hi,

I'm just about to begin my Masters in Physics in October, after this I hope to begin a Phd. However, providing I secure a Phd, I will have 3 months where it would be nice to apply myself a little differently then I have the last 4 years, before starting another 4 years of similar work.

I'm interested in Volunteering (ideally abroad) but would ideally like to use the degree I've worked oh so hard to get. I would be happy to teach, but lack teaching experience and the relevant qualification (PGCE). I have yet to see any opportunities like this present themselves.

I was wondering if they are just poorly advertised or if anyone here had heard of such opportunities/ know of any resources that could help me?

Kind Regards

Luke

Physics news on Phys.org
Only thing I know of is the Peace Corps but they require a MUCH longer commitment (something like 2 years).

If you want to teach (maybe not physics) you can teach English in Asia with any bachelor's.
My friend just went to China for 10 months, another went to Japan, both graduated with 2:1 in media or design or some such crap.

Cheers Guys,

Peace Corps is too long, I have about 3 months spare. As much as teaching English is worthwhile I don't think its something I could do well. Back to trawling google...

Regards

Luke

Hey, Barny, Teaching English is something, if you were interested, you'd want to do it for more than 3 months. If you critically review English Grammar on your own, and if you studied any foreign language, and most essentially if you attend a course to learn how to teach English as a Second Language, you could be surprised how much ability you have to teach English to people whose first language is not English. Finding an actual position might not be too hard if you are just looking for a volunteer position.

More practically, you should be able to find plenty of people who need tutoring in Physics or Mathematics. You could do this on your own, or hook up with a community agency(?)

If you're not looking to get paid (much), you could teach re-certification courses for high school (and elementary) teachers. They need to accumulate a certain number of credits every 5 years or so for re-certification purposes, but they can get these credits in everything from a physics lecture to a yoga class. Anyone can offer the credits - just contact a local high school to find out how to offer them. Most K-12 teachers have never taken a physics or astronomy class; you could teach them the basics in a few sessions after school or on weekends.

Cheers, I think I'm going to have a look into those ideas, sounds up my street!

streeters said:
If you want to teach (maybe not physics) you can teach English in Asia with any bachelor's.
My friend just went to China for 10 months, another went to Japan, both graduated with 2:1 in media or design or some such crap.

That is assuming you speak Chinese?

1. What are some ways to volunteer in the field of physics?

There are many opportunities to volunteer in the field of physics. Some options include volunteering at science museums or educational institutions, participating in citizen science projects, or assisting with research projects at universities or laboratories.

2. Do I need to have a physics background to volunteer in this field?

No, you do not necessarily need a background in physics to volunteer. Many organizations and projects welcome individuals from diverse backgrounds and offer training to volunteers to learn about the specific tasks and projects they will be involved in.

3. How can volunteering in physics benefit my career?

Volunteering in physics can provide valuable experience and skills that can enhance your resume and make you more competitive in the job market. It also allows you to network with professionals in the field and gain a better understanding of the industry.

4. Are there any age restrictions for volunteering in physics?

This varies depending on the organization or project. Some may have age restrictions due to safety concerns or the complexity of the tasks involved. However, there are also opportunities for younger individuals to volunteer, such as through science fairs or outreach programs.

5. How can I find volunteering opportunities in physics?

You can start by researching organizations or institutions in your local area that focus on physics or science education. You can also reach out to universities or research labs to inquire about potential volunteering opportunities. Online platforms and job boards may also list volunteer positions in the field of physics.