How big are photons compared to electrons?

In summary, the photons in visible light are interacting with the electrons of the molecules in the foil, but high energy electrons keV or MeV will mostly pass through a thin foil.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
In the case of a beam of electrons, most of them will flow through a thin surface like foil without any collisions (only a small percentage of the electrons end up colliding with the molecules of the foil), while in the case of a light beam, very few photons will pass through.

Somewhat puzzling given this is the fact what the photons are interacting with is the electrons of the molecules in the foil.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see what this has got to do with size. The photons are absorbed when they hit the foil aren't they?

One of the key points Quantum Physics, and the reason why we have to think of things as both particles and waves, is that the geometric concepts such as "size" simply become meaningless in the subatomic domain.

Jeff Reid said:
In the case of a beam of electrons, most of them will flow through a thin surface like foil without any collisions (only a small percentage of the electrons end up colliding with the molecules of the foil), while in the case of a light beam, very few photons will pass through.

Somewhat puzzling given this is the fact what the photons are interacting with is the electrons of the molecules in the foil.
Is one comparing visible light with electrons of similar energy, i.e. eV range?

I think one will find gamma rays will pass right through a foil. X-rays have wavelengths on the order of atomic lattices, and that is how one obtains Bragg (X-ray) diffraction.

High energy electrons keV or MeV will mostly pass through a thin foil - and attenuation is a function of electron energy and thickness of the foil.

Astronuc said:
Is one comparing visible light with electrons of similar energy, i.e. eV range?
I wasn't taking the energy levels into account, not realising this this would affect the "size" or whatever it is that allows high energy or high velocity sub-atomic particles pass through solids. I do recall that certain types of radiation and/or sub-atomic particles are an issue for space craft. I also recall that some x-ray machines use an electron beam striking a metal shield to generate x-rays.

1. How do the sizes of photons and electrons compare?

Photons and electrons are both subatomic particles, but they have very different sizes. Photons are considered to be point particles, meaning they have no size or volume. Electrons, on the other hand, have a measurable size and volume. The exact size of an electron is debated among scientists, but it is estimated to be around 10^-18 meters.

2. Can photons and electrons be measured in the same units?

No, photons and electrons cannot be measured in the same units because they have different properties and behave differently. Photons are measured in units of energy, such as joules or electron volts, while electrons are typically measured in units of charge, such as coulombs or elementary charges.

3. How do the masses of photons and electrons compare?

Photons and electrons also have very different masses. Photons are considered to be massless, meaning they have no mass. Electrons, on the other hand, have a relatively small but measurable mass. The mass of an electron is approximately 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms.

4. Can photons and electrons interact with each other?

Yes, photons and electrons can interact with each other. Photons can transfer their energy to electrons, causing them to move or change energy levels. This interaction is the basis of many important processes, such as photosynthesis and electricity.

5. Are photons and electrons similar in any way?

While photons and electrons have many differences, they do share some similarities. Both particles are fundamental building blocks of matter and energy, and they both have wave-like properties. Additionally, both photons and electrons can exhibit particle-wave duality, meaning they can behave as both particles and waves.