Classical electrodynamics

In summary, the potential for a charge distribution on the Z=0 plane of the form \rhos=\rho0 sin( \alpha x )sin( \beta y ) can be found by looking for a potential of the form A sin( \alpha x )sin( \beta y )f(z) which satisfies the condition \phi(z\rightarrow±\infty)=0. This potential has the form A sin( \alpha x )sin( \beta y )exp(-z) for z>0 and A sin( \alpha x )sin( \beta y )exp(z) for z<0. The existence and uniqueness theorem guarantees that this is the only possible solution. In general, it
maria clara
On the Z=0 plane the charge distribution is of the form
[tex]\rho[/tex]s=[tex]\rho[/tex]0 sin( [tex]\alpha[/tex] x )sin( [tex]\beta[/tex] y )
find the potential everywhere, assuming that [tex]\phi[/tex](z[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]±[tex]\infty[/tex])=0

according to the answer, we should look for a potential of the form
A sin( [tex]\alpha[/tex] x )sin( [tex]\beta[/tex] y )f(z)
(due to the form of the charge distribution)

in order to satisfy the condition [tex]\phi[/tex](z[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]±[tex]\infty[/tex])=0

we conclude that the potential has the following form:
A sin( [tex]\alpha[/tex] x )sin( [tex]\beta[/tex] y )exp(-z) , z>0
A sin( [tex]\alpha[/tex] x )sin( [tex]\beta[/tex] y )exp(z) , z<0

this potential clearly satisfies the boudary condition, but does f(z) have to be exponential? how can we be sure it isn't some other function that decays at infinity?

and another question - in which cases is it possible to deduce that the potential has the same form as the charge distribution? is it always true when the charge distribution is infinite and is a product of separate functions of each variable?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a theorem for this, I think it went like: if the potential is given on the boundary and (... something else, about the charge distribution ...) , then the solution is (in particular) unique. So if you find any potential that solves the Poisson equation, you can be sure it is the solution. I forgot the name of the theorem, but it is in Griffith's EM book for a fact.

CompuChip said:
There was a theorem for this, I think it went like: if the potential is given on the boundary and (... something else, about the charge distribution ...) , then the solution is (in particular) unique. So if you find any potential that solves the Poisson equation, you can be sure it is the solution. I forgot the name of the theorem, but it is in Griffith's EM book for a fact.

Yes, it is called the existence and uniqueness theorem and can be found in Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics. It guarantees that there is only one unique solution, so given that you found a solution that works, you can rest assured it is the only possible solution.

maria clara said:
and another question - in which cases is it possible to deduce that the potential has the same form as the charge distribution? is it always true when the charge distribution is infinite and is a product of separate functions of each variable?

I think the fact that the potential included a term that is proportional to the charge distribution is a result of the second derivative of a sin or cos function being -sin or - cos respectfully. This means that when you plug the potential into the Poisson's Equation Equation , if the potential is seperable (i.e. V(x,y,z)=g(x)h(y)f(z)), you clearly require that g(x) is proportional to sin(alphax) and h(y) is proportional to sin(betay). In general, I think it is very difficult to specify under which conditions you can expect the potential to be proportional to the charge distribution, but my guess is that anytime the charge distribution is a seperable, harmonic function, and the potential is seperable then it will occur. I think there ar other charge distributions as well though, for which the potential is proportional to the charge distribution.

Last edited:

1. What is "Classical Electrodynamics"?

Classical Electrodynamics is the study of the fundamental principles and laws governing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is a branch of physics that explains how charged particles interact with each other and with electromagnetic radiation.

2. What are the key equations in Classical Electrodynamics?

The key equations in Classical Electrodynamics are Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and the Lorentz force law, which describes the force on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field.

3. What are some applications of Classical Electrodynamics?

Classical Electrodynamics has numerous applications in modern technology, including the design of electrical circuits, electromagnetic devices such as motors and generators, and telecommunications. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation.

4. How does Classical Electrodynamics differ from Quantum Electrodynamics?

Classical Electrodynamics is based on classical laws of physics and is used to describe macroscopic systems, while Quantum Electrodynamics is a quantum field theory that explains the behavior of matter and energy at the subatomic level. Quantum Electrodynamics also incorporates the principles of quantum mechanics, which allows for a more accurate description of electromagnetic phenomena.

5. What are some current research topics in Classical Electrodynamics?

Current research in Classical Electrodynamics includes the study of plasmas, which are ionized gases that exhibit complex electromagnetic behavior. Other topics of interest include the development of new materials with unique electromagnetic properties, and the study of electromagnetic waves in different media such as metamaterials.