Integral Evaluation: X^2/((x-1/3)^2-16/9)^(3/2)

• Thread starter danield
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves evaluating the integral $\int \frac{x^2}{(x-\frac{1}{3})^{\frac{3}{2}} \sqrt{\frac{16}{9} + \left(x-\frac{1}{3}\right)^2}}dx$. The attempts made by the student involved completing the square and using the substitution $x=\sec u, dx=\sec u \tan u du$. However, this did not yield the correct result. The correct approach is to let $x-\frac{1}{3}=\frac{4}{3}\sec\theta$ and then use the substitution $u=\tan\theta$.
danield

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral.
http://www.webassign.net/www30/symImages/7/a/8fcca85e1856587219a0f28aa29d3a.gif

Homework Equations

I think that i need to complete the square and then use, x=sec u, dx=sec u tan u du

The Attempt at a Solution

i have attempted various methods but none has yield the right result :S
ive gotten
X^2/((x-1/3)^2-16/9)^(3/2)

then i used U=x-1/3
(u+1/3)^2/(U^2-16/9)^(3/2)
then i use u=(4/3)sec o and du=(4/3)sec o tan o do

and i get

((16/9)(sec o )^2 + (8/9)sec o + (1/9))/(64/27)(Tan o)^3

and i don't know where to go from there b/c the methods i have used have not worked

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:We have $$\int \frac{x^2}{(x-\frac{1}{3})^{\frac{3}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{16}{9}+\left(x-\frac{1}{3}\right)^2}}dx$$Let $x-\frac{1}{3}=\frac{4}{3}\sec\theta$, then $\frac{dx}{d\theta}=\frac{4}{3}\sec\theta\tan\theta$.So we get $$\frac{4}{3}\int\frac{\sec^2\theta}{\tan^3\theta\sqrt{\sec^2\theta+\frac{16}{9}}}d\theta$$Let $u=\tan\theta$, then $du=\sec^2\theta d\theta$. We get $$\frac{4}{3}\int\frac{1}{u^3\sqrt{u^2+\frac{16}{9}}}du$$Integrate it, and you can get the answer.

1. What is the purpose of integral evaluation?

The purpose of integral evaluation is to find the exact value of a definite integral, which represents the area under a curve. This is useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is integral evaluation different from differentiation?

Integral evaluation is the reverse process of differentiation. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integral evaluation finds the original function given its rate of change.

3. What is the general approach to solving an integral like X^2/((x-1/3)^2-16/9)^(3/2)?

The general approach to solving an integral is to first identify the appropriate integration technique, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. Then, apply the chosen technique to simplify the integral and solve for the unknown variable. In this case, substitution would likely be the most effective technique.

4. What is the significance of the constant of integration in integral evaluation?

The constant of integration represents the unknown value or values that may have been lost during the process of differentiation. It is important to include the constant of integration in integral evaluation to ensure that the original function is accurately represented.

5. Can integral evaluation be used to find other important quantities besides area under a curve?

Yes, integral evaluation can also be used to find the volume of a solid, the length of a curve, and the average value of a function. It can also be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating work done or finding the center of mass of an object.