Solving Limits Problems: limx->-inf & g(x)=x10/9

• Thread starter Melawrghk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation where the limit is unknown and is having trouble rationalizing it. The first equation they tried yielded a -infinity answer, so they substituted and tried another equation but still weren't able to come up with a solution. They then asked a friend for help and he was able to provide a hint that helped them solve the equation.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

1. limx->-inf (sqrt(x2+6x-1) + x)
2. Let g(x) = x10/9, find limh->0 g((209+h) - g(209))/h

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Well, first I put the -infinty in and I think it's an indetermination because it's inf-inf. So I decided to rationalize the equation and got:
6x-1
------------
sqrt(x2+6x-1) -x)
I figured the limit of the denominator has to be +infinity, limit of the top is -infinity, which would result in getting a -infinity. But the answer says it's -3.

2. I substituted and got this:
(209+h)10/9 - 209
-----------------------
h

Which really gets me nowhere because it is still unclear at to what to do with the first part of the numerator. I'm only allowed to solve this with regular limit rules, nothign fancy...

Physics news on Phys.org
Melawrghk said:
1. limx->-inf (sqrt(x2+6x-1) + x)
2. Let g(x) = x10/9, find limh->0 g((209+h) - g(209))/h

I'm only allowed to solve this with regular limit rules, nothign fancy...

Hi Melawrghk! :smile:

(have an infinity: ∞ and a square-root: √ :smile:)

Hint: 1. can you solve limx->-∞ (√(x2+6x+9) + x)? :wink:

2. what is (1 + x)10/9 ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hint: 1. can you solve limx->-∞ (√(x2+6x+9) + x)? :wink:
Nope :) Because that is essentially what I'm asking. It turns out to be ∞-∞ and I'm not sure if the infinites are equal. Plus, it definitely doesn't equal -3...

2. what is (1 + x)10/9 ? :smile:
Honestly, I have no clue. 9th root of (1+x)10?

Thanks for your help

Melawrghk said:
Nope :)

Yup :biggrin:

(what is √(x2+6x+9) ?)

Try again! :smile:

ok … try: what is (1 + x)10 if x is very small?

(1 + x)5 ?

(1 + x)10/9 ? :wink:

Melawrghk said:
Nope :) Because that is essentially what I'm asking. It turns out to be ∞-∞ and I'm not sure if the infinites are equal. Plus, it definitely doesn't equal -3...

Thanks for your help

For first one try this. sqrt(x^2+6x-1)=sqrt(x^2*(1+6/x-1/x^2))=|x|sqrt(1+6/x-1/x^2). Apply that to your rationalized form.

tiny-tim said:
Yup :biggrin:

(what is √(x2+6x+9) ?)

Try again! :smile:
OOH I'm dumb! :D Okay, I get it now. Can't believe I overlooked that...
EDIT: Wait, no. I get this one, but how would I do it with mine? Mine doesn't factor nicely...
ok … try: what is (1 + x)10 if x is very small?

(1 + x)5 ?

(1 + x)10/9 ? :wink:

It's 1whatever. But if I use that tactic, won't I just end up with 0/0 again? Because if I eliminate the "h" in the numerator, I'll be left with two equal but opposite terms... Sorry, I still don't get this one.

Thanks Dick, I'll try that.

Melawrghk said:
OOH I'm dumb! :D Okay, I get it now. Can't believe I overlooked that...
EDIT: Wait, no. I get this one, but how would I do it with mine? Mine doesn't factor nicely...

Use x2 + 6x - 1 = (x2 + 6x + 9)(1 - 10/(x2 + 6x - 1)) :wink:
It's 1whatever. But if I use that tactic, won't I just end up with 0/0 again? Because if I eliminate the "h" in the numerator, I'll be left with two equal but opposite terms... Sorry, I still don't get this one.

(1 + x)10 = 1 +10x +15x2 + …

so, for very small x, (1 + x)10 is approximately 1 +10x. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Use x2 + 6x - 1 = (x2 + 6x + 9)(1 - 10/(x2 + 6x - 1)) :wink:
Where'd you get that?...

(1 + x)10 = 1 +10x +15x2 + …

so, for very small x, (1 + x)10 is approximately 1 +10x. :wink:
Yeah.. binomial expansion. But that's for a nice power. 10/9 is ANYTHING but nice.
Maybe if I do the 9th root of 209+h to the power of 10 that would help. I'll try.

PS. Thanks Dick, it worked :)

What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in mathematics that represents the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or infinity. It is used to understand the behavior of a function at points where it is not defined or where the function is not continuous.

How do you solve limits problems?

To solve a limit problem, you need to evaluate the function at the given value and see what value it approaches. If the function approaches a specific value, then that is the limit. If the function approaches infinity or negative infinity, then the limit does not exist. You can also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and simplifying, to solve limits algebraically.

What is the limit of a function as x approaches negative infinity?

The limit of a function as x approaches negative infinity is the value that the function approaches as x gets closer and closer to negative infinity. In the case of g(x)=x10/9, as x approaches negative infinity, the value of the function approaches negative infinity.

Is it possible for a function to have multiple limits at a given point?

No, a function can only have one limit at a given point. If the function approaches different values from different directions, then the limit does not exist.

How can limits be applied in real life scenarios?

Limits are used in many real life scenarios, such as calculating the maximum height a rocket can reach, finding the maximum speed a car can travel without skidding, and determining the ideal dosage of a medication for a patient. They are also used in economics, physics, and engineering to model and predict various phenomena.