The Impulse and Average Force of a Bouncing Handball

In summary: Impulse is the change in momentum. The ball's momentum before it was caught was m * 5m/sThe ball's momentum after it was caught was 0So the change in momentum is -m*5m/sThe time of the impulse is the time it takes for the ball to go from 5m/s to 0, which is the same as the collision time. So the impulse is -m*5m/s / 2ms = -2.5mNsAnd the average force exerted on the player by the ball is the impulse divided by the collision time, which is -2.5mNs / 2ms = -1.25N. In summary
maniacp08
A 60g handball moving with a speed of 5m/s strikes the wall at a 40 degree angle with the norm, and then it bounces off with the same speed at the same angle with the norm. It is in contact with the for 2.0ms.

a)What is the average force exerted by the ball on the wall?
b)The rebounding ball is caught by a player who brings it to rest. In the process her hand moves back .50m. what is the impulse received by the player?
c)what average force was exerted on the player by the ball?

Impulse = change in momentum = m * change in velocity
Avg force = Impulse / collision time

Isn't velocity the same as speed but with a direction?
So can vi = 5m/s and vf = -5m/s?

The problem gave me an angle so I know I have to do something with it but I am not sure what.
I try doing 60g * -10m/s as the impulse then divide it by 2ms for average force but it is wrong.
Can someone help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
maniacp08 said:
A 60g handball moving with a speed of 5m/s strikes the wall at a 40 degree angle with the norm, and then it bounces off with the same speed at the same angle with the norm. It is in contact with the for 2.0ms.

a)What is the average force exerted by the ball on the wall?
b)The rebounding ball is caught by a player who brings it to rest. In the process her hand moves back .50m. what is the impulse received by the player?

Impulse = change in momentum = m * change in velocity
Avg force = Impulse / collision time

Isn't velocity the same as speed but with a direction?
So can vi = 5m/s and vf = -5m/s?

The problem gave me an angle so I know I have to do something with it but I am not sure what.
I try doing 60g * -10m/s as the impulse then divide it by 2ms for average force but it is wrong.
Can someone help me.

You mostly have it.

Velocity is a vector. So resolve the velocity into the x,y components. The vertical component before/after remains in the same direction. It's apparently only the horizontal component that is reversed.

Ahh. Thanks it is -5cos40-5cos40 * 60g then divide by 2ms.

So Would the vi of the ball be -5cos40 and vf = 0 since it is caught and goes to rest?
so is -5cos40 * 60g?

Is this just answer to B/2ms?

maniacp08 said:
Ahh. Thanks it is -5cos40-5cos40 * 60g then divide by 2ms.

So Would the vi of the ball be -5cos40 and vf = 0 since it is caught and goes to rest?
so is -5cos40 * 60g?

Is this just answer to B/2ms?

The ball was caught - both components of it - presumably at the same height.

So that's V2 = 2*a*(.5m)
Use the "a" to yield the time of the impulse.

Im kind of confuse.
Wouldn't the rebounding ball vi be -5cos40?
bringing it to rest wouldn't that be vf = 0?

If I am wrong then
What would V^2 be?
The sum of the 2 components of the speed?

a yields the time of the impulse is that the collision time?

maniacp08 said:
Im kind of confuse.
Wouldn't the rebounding ball vi be -5cos40?
bringing it to rest wouldn't that be vf = 0?

If I am wrong then
What would V^2 be?
The sum of the 2 components of the speed?

a yields the time of the impulse is that the collision time?

The vertical component is not affected.
and then it bounces off with the same speed at the same angle with the norm.
So when the ball arrives at the glove it is still traveling at 5 m/s - if it is caught at the same height it was thrown.

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time over which the force is applied.

2. How is impulse related to average force?

The impulse experienced by an object is equal to the average force applied to the object multiplied by the time over which the force is applied. This means that the larger the impulse, the larger the average force must be.

3. What is the difference between impulse and force?

Impulse and force are related, but they are not the same thing. Force is a measure of the strength of a push or pull on an object, while impulse is a measure of the change in momentum caused by that force.

4. How does impulse affect an object's motion?

Impulse can change an object's motion by altering its momentum. If the impulse is in the same direction as the object's motion, it will increase the object's speed. If the impulse is in the opposite direction, it will slow the object down.

5. What are some real world examples of impulse and average force?

There are many examples of impulse and average force in everyday life, such as hitting a baseball with a bat, kicking a soccer ball, or braking a car. In each of these cases, the force applied to the object over a certain amount of time will determine the change in the object's momentum.