Moment of Inertia of a Physical Pendulum?

In summary: None yet :S I'n pretty clueless about how to do thisIn summary, the moment of inertia of a weight attached to a ruler is 0.005476.
Waich

Homework Statement

I have a uniform ruler, 80cm long weighing 50g. I'm attaching a weight at one end, 1cm from the bottom. I'm assuming that its a point mass to make things easier. This weighs 10g. The ruler has an axis 5 cm from the top. What's the moment of inertia?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

None yet :S I'n pretty clueless about how to do this

Attachments

• diagram.bmp
    58.2 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find out the center of mass of the system. After you've done that, apply Steiner's theorem to determine the moment of inertia of the system. Consider the pendulum as being a point situated in the center of mass.

I can work out the centre of mass (it's 33.5cm from the bottom) but I don't know how to work out the moment of inertia from there.
Also, the pendulum can't be thought of as a point mass otherwise it turns into a simple pendulum (although I wish it could, this would be a hell of a lot easier :frown: ).

Sorry from there you don't have to use Steiner's theorem. It's even more simple.
The moment of inertia with respect to an axis passing by the upper point of the pendulum is worth [tex]\int r^2 dm[/tex]. You have a point so it is simply worth [tex]d^2M[/tex] where M is the mass of the system and d is the distance between the upper point and the center of mass.
I hope I'm not wrong...

Waich said:
None yet :S I'n pretty clueless about how to do this
Can you find the rotational inertia of the ruler by itself about the given axis? (You'll need the parallel axis theorem, also known as Steiner's theorem as fluidistic said.) The rotational inertia of the mass by itself?

Find the separate rotational inertias and add them up for the total.

Well using the standard result for the moment of inertia at the centre of mass I get this:
I = 1/12 * ML[tex]^{2}[/tex] + Mr[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 1/12 * 0.05 * 0.8[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 0.05 * 0.415[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 0.01128

Then for moment of inertia of the weight I get this:
I = m * x[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 0.01 * 0.74[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 0.005476

So Total Inertia = 0.0168
Does this seem right?
I've tried subbing it into the Time Period equation (T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{I}{Mgr}}[/tex] )
but I get different values to my experiment results. It's out by around 0.3 seconds, I don't think my results are that bad :S Have I done the calculation properly?

Waich said:
Well using the standard result for the moment of inertia at the centre of mass I get this:
I = 1/12 * ML[tex]^{2}[/tex] + Mr[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Good.
I = 1/12 * 0.05 * 0.8[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 0.05 * 0.415[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 0.01128
What's the distance between the center of the ruler and the axis?

Then for moment of inertia of the weight I get this:
I = m * x[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 0.01 * 0.74[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 0.005476
Looks good.

So Total Inertia = 0.0168
Does this seem right?
You'll need to recalculate that.
I've tried subbing it into the Time Period equation (T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{I}{Mgr}}[/tex] )
but I get different values to my experiment results.
What did you use for the distance between center of mass and axis of rotation?

Ah right so the r in my second line of working should be 0.35m. However, it's still a little off :(
I'm using 0.415 as the distance between CoM and the axis.
I'm starting to think that my experimental values are off...

What is the moment of inertia of a physical pendulum?

The moment of inertia of a physical pendulum is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the shape and mass distribution of the pendulum.

How is the moment of inertia of a physical pendulum calculated?

The moment of inertia of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the formula I = ML², where M is the mass of the pendulum and L is the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a physical pendulum?

The moment of inertia of a physical pendulum is affected by the mass and distribution of mass in the pendulum, as well as the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass. It also depends on the shape and size of the pendulum.

Why is the moment of inertia important in studying physical pendulums?

The moment of inertia is important in studying physical pendulums because it helps us understand the pendulum's motion and its stability. It is also used in various applications, such as in calculating the period of oscillation of the pendulum.

Can the moment of inertia of a physical pendulum be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a physical pendulum can be changed by altering its mass distribution or its shape. For example, changing the length of the pendulum or adding weight to one end can affect its moment of inertia.