Basis & Dimention of W: Checking Answers

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary: Taking the zero vector for (1, 2, 1, 1) in the original problem, you get a_1*(1, 0, 1, 0) + a_2*(1, 2, 1, 1) = (0, 0, 0, 0). This leads to the system of equations you solved, and as you saw, the only solution is a_1 = a_2 = 0.
Dell
W is a vector space inside of R4 (1 0 1 0) and (1 2 1 1)
what is the basis and dimention of W

what i did was put them into a homogenic system and eliminated whatever i could

1 1 | 0
0 2 | 0
1 1 | 0
0 1 | 0

eventually got to

1 0 | 0
0 1 | 0

is (1,0) and (0,1) my basis
and 2 my dimention??
does this mean that i have a 2 dimention vector space inside a 4 dimensional space?

is there any way to check my answers??

Physics news on Phys.org
Dell said:
W is a vector space inside of R4 (1 0 1 0) and (1 2 1 1)
This is not a clear description of the problem. Is W the subspace of R4 consisting of all linear combinations of the two vectors you showed?
Dell said:
what is the basis and dimention of W
Assuming that I have correctly interpreted your problem description, the two vectors--(1, 0, 1, 0) and (1, 2, 1, 1)--are a basis for the subspace W. These vectors are clearly linearly independent, and they span W, so they form a basis. Since there are two of them, the dimension (note spelling) is 2.
Dell said:
what i did was put them into a homogenic system and eliminated whatever i could
The work below is no help.
Dell said:
1 1 | 0
0 2 | 0
1 1 | 0
0 1 | 0

eventually got to

1 0 | 0
0 1 | 0

is (1,0) and (0,1) my basis
and 2 my dimention??
does this mean that i have a 2 dimention vector space inside a 4 dimensional space?

is there any way to check my answers??
No and yes. Any vectors in R^4 or a subspace of it have to be 4-dimensional (have 4 components), so (1,0) and (0,1) could not possibly form a basis for any subspace of R^4.
Yes, the dimension of the subspace W (if I actually understand what it is) is 2, but there is very little connection between the work you showed and this result.

Just a few more words,aside from what was already said:

Any time you have, say a subspace W that consists of all linear combinations of some vectors, say a,b,c etc. in R^n, then all you need to do is to pick the ones that are lin. independent, since you already know that they span your space.

so how do i prove that they are lin independant? by doing what i did in my 1st step , ie
1 1 | 0
0 2 | 0
1 1 | 0
0 1 | 0

eventually got to

1 0 | 0 x1=0
0 1 | 0 x2=0

??

Dell said:
so how do i prove that they are lin independant? by doing what i did in my 1st step , ie
1 1 | 0
0 2 | 0
1 1 | 0
0 1 | 0

eventually got to

1 0 | 0 x1=0
0 1 | 0 x2=0

??
That will work to show that the vectors are linearly independent.

With two vectors, it's easier to show that they are linearly independent by showing that neither is a multiple of the other. It's pretty obvious that no multiple of (1, 0, 1, 0) will get you to (1, 2, 1, 1). With three or more vectors, you have to do what you did.

In any case, something that always works is the definition of linear independence, namely, that the equation [itex]a_1*x_1 + a_2*x_2 + ... + a_n*x_n = 0 [/itex] has only a single solution for the constants a_i.

What is the basis of a vector space?

The basis of a vector space is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space.

How do you determine the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in its basis.

What is the purpose of checking answers when working with vector spaces?

Checking answers ensures that the calculations are correct and that the solutions are consistent with the properties of vector spaces.

Can the dimension of a vector space change?

No, the dimension of a vector space is a fundamental property and does not change.

What is the relationship between the basis and dimension of a vector space?

The basis and dimension of a vector space are directly related - the number of vectors in the basis is equal to the dimension of the space.