Can a blow dryer make a ping pong ball hover and spin?

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses a video of a hovering ping pong ball created with a blow dryer. The video also shows the rate of spin changing as the blow dryer is angled and the use of a cardboard tube to shoot the ball up. The link provided offers a good explanation for the hovering ball phenomenon, and the video creator mentions not seeing this technique on YouTube before. They also speculate on the physics involved and suggest that someone could offer a better explanation. The conversation ends with compliments and suggestions for future videos featuring more tricks with the hovering ball.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
I made a video of hovering ping pong ball with a blow dryer. I zoom into show the rate of spin changing as I angle the blow dryer. I then held a cardboard tube over the hovering ball so it would shoot up through the tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdT3ChUl-zk&fmt=22

Link to a good explanation for the hovering ball.
http://www.terrycolon.com/1features/ber.html

Regarding the cardboard tube, I recall reading about that a while back and didn't see any instance of this at youtube, which is why I made the video. I don't recall the physics involved. It's my guess that there is significant dynamic pressure below the ball, the tube captures a flow of air without allowing it to expand outwards (just upwards), and because the tube is just barely larger than the ball, it interferes with the air flow that would normally go around and above the ball, increasing the drag. Perhaps someone could offer a better explanation?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
This is so cool! Is it hard keeping the ball from falling to a side? Love the cardboard tube. You need to do a sequel with more tricks!

1. What is the science behind ping pong ball aerobatics?

Ping pong ball aerobatics is based on the principles of aerodynamics, which is the study of how objects move through air. When a ping pong ball is thrown into the air, it experiences forces such as gravity and air resistance that affect its motion.

2. How does air resistance affect ping pong ball aerobatics?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through air. As a ping pong ball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance that slows it down and changes its trajectory.

3. Can ping pong ball aerobatics be affected by air temperature?

Yes, air temperature can affect ping pong ball aerobatics. As air temperature increases, air molecules move faster and create less resistance. This can lead to faster and longer flights for ping pong balls. On the other hand, colder air can create more resistance and result in shorter flights.

4. What factors determine the flight path of a ping pong ball?

The flight path of a ping pong ball is determined by several factors including initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. These forces work together to determine the trajectory and duration of the flight.

5. Are there any real-world applications of ping pong ball aerobatics?

Yes, the principles of ping pong ball aerobatics are used in the design and testing of aircrafts and other flying objects. By studying the flight of ping pong balls, scientists and engineers can better understand and improve the aerodynamics of these objects.