Understanding the Golden Ratio: Exploring \phi and \varphi in Mathematics

I'm not sure what you mean by "as it was". After all, we have shown that [tex]\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2} - \frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}= \frac{1}{2}+ \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2} - (\frac{1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2})[/tex] What more do you want? The reason we want to do that is that, if we have two expressions that differ only in the sign of some term, we can add them and the "offending" term will "cancel" out. For example, suppose we
morbello
Im working on a part off my course and it covers this, but its not clear.

[tex]\phi[/tex]= half (1+[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex])

[tex]\varphi[/tex]=half (1-[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex])The question asks [tex]\phi[/tex]-[tex]\varphi[/tex] =[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]

It is written in my book, the answer but it does not explain how the maths cancels and manipilates.

Could you show me a way that the answer is derived.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you try and calculate [itex]\phi-\varphi[/itex] ?

the question also say's use the exact forms of each form off the golden ratio to verify the following propertys of[tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\varphi[/tex]

half (1+[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]) -half(1-[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex])

= half [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]+half [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]

Is the answer i have in my book but I am lost to how and why its that way.

Which part confuses you? The fact that the 1/2 - 1/2 = 0 or the fact that 1/2*sqrt(5) + 1/2*sqrt(5) = sqrt(5)?

its the part that makes the 1/2 -1/2 =0 why is the 1+sqrt(5) and the 1-sqrt (5) taken out off the equation what dicided this.

half(1+sqrt(5))=(1+sqrt(5))/2=1/2+sqrt(5)/2.
half(1-sqrt(5))=(1-sqrt(5))/2=1/2-sqrt(5)/2. Subtract them.

Or would it help to write it as
[tex]\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}= \frac{1}{2}+ \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

so the 2's cancels out but does that not leave it as it was.

[tex]\phi = \frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\varphi = \frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]\phi - \varphi = \frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2} - \frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

If you cannot understand how to simplify this to get your answer of [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] then maybe manipulating the fractions in the same way hallsofivy has done will help you out.

[tex]\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2} - \frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2} = \frac{1}{2}+ \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2} - (\frac{1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2})[/tex]

morbello said:
so the 2's cancels out but does that not leave it as it was.

I wouldn't use the word "cancel": for any number a,
[tex]\frac{a}{2}+ \frac{a}{2}= a(\frac{1}{2}+ \frac{1}{2})= a(\frac{2}{2}= a(1)= a[/itex]
It's just a matter of "one plus one equals 2"!

What is the Golden Ratio?

The Golden Ratio, also known as the Divine Proportion or Phi, is a mathematical ratio of approximately 1.618. It has been found to occur in various natural and man-made structures and is often considered aesthetically pleasing.

Where can the Golden Ratio be seen in nature?

The Golden Ratio can be seen in the branching of trees, the spiral arrangement of leaves on a stem, the shape of seashells, and in the proportions of the human body, among other examples.

How is the Golden Ratio calculated?

The Golden Ratio is calculated by dividing a line into two parts so that the longer part divided by the smaller part is equal to the sum of the whole line divided by the longer part. This can be represented mathematically as (a+b)/a = a/b = 1.618.

What are some examples of the Golden Ratio in art and architecture?

The Golden Ratio can be seen in famous works of art such as Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" and "The Last Supper." It is also evident in the design of the Parthenon in Greece and the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt.

Is the Golden Ratio considered to be a universal aesthetic principle?

The Golden Ratio has been studied and debated for centuries, with some arguing that it is a universal aesthetic principle and others claiming that its significance is overstated. While it can be found in many structures and has been used in art and design, its impact on aesthetic appeal is still a topic of ongoing research and discussion among scientists and mathematicians.