What is the orthogonal complement of W in C3 and how can its basis be found?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, W^\perp is the set of all vectors in the space C3 that are orthogonal to every vector in W. To find the orthonormal basis of W^\perp, we can choose a vector that is orthogonal to v1 and v2, and then normalize it to have a length of 1. This vector will be the basis for W^\perp, as it will be independent of v1 and v2 and will have a length of 1. This is possible because C3 has a dimension of 3, and W has a dimension of 2, leaving a dimension of 1 for the "orthogonal complement."
transgalactic
there is
W=span{v1=(1,0,i),v2=(2,1,1+i)}
find the orthonormal basis of
[tex]
W^\perp
[/tex]

i can do a row reduction and add another vector
which is independant to the other two.
so thy are othogonal.and then divide each coordinate of a given vector by the normal
of that vector

but what is
[tex]
W^\perp
[/tex]
??

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]W^\perp[/tex] is the set of all vector in the space C3 orthogonal to every vector in W. It's easy to show it is also a subspace.

In order that a vector, u= (a, b, c), be orthogonal to every vector in W, it is sufficient that it be orthogonal to v1 and v2 and that is true as long as their dot products are 0:
(a, b, c).(1, 0, i)= a+ ci= 0 and (a,b,c).(2,1,1+i)= 2a+ b+ (1+i)c= 0. That gives you two equations in three unknowns. You can solve for two of the unknowns, say a and b, in terms of the other, c. "Normalize" the vector by choosing c so that its length is 1 and that will be your "orthonormal" basis. C3, the set of all ordered triples of complex numbers, has dimension 3. Since W has dimension 2, its "orthogonal complement" has dimension 1 so a basis consists of a single vector and you don't have to worry about the "ortho" part of orthonormal.

1. What is an orthonormal vector?

An orthonormal vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is orthogonal (perpendicular) to all other vectors in the same space. This means that it is at a 90 degree angle to all other vectors in the space.

2. How is an orthonormal vector different from a regular vector?

A regular vector can have any magnitude and direction, while an orthonormal vector must have a magnitude of 1 and be perpendicular to all other vectors in the space.

3. What is the significance of orthonormal vectors in mathematics?

Orthonormal vectors are important in mathematics because they form a basis for a vector space. This means that any vector in that space can be represented as a linear combination of the orthonormal vectors.

4. How are orthonormal vectors used in data analysis?

In data analysis, orthonormal vectors are used to perform dimensionality reduction. This means that a large set of data can be represented using a smaller set of orthonormal vectors, making it easier to analyze and understand.

5. How can I determine if a set of vectors is orthonormal?

To determine if a set of vectors is orthonormal, you can use the dot product. If the dot product of any two vectors in the set is 0, and the magnitude of each vector is 1, then the set is orthonormal.