Two points on a curve with a common Tangent

In summary, we can find the two points on the curve y=x^4-2x^2-x that have a common tangent line by setting the slopes of the tangent lines at those points equal to each other and setting the constants of the tangent lines equal to each other. This results in two equations, one of which has a solution of a = b, and the other has a solution of a = -b. By substituting these values into the original equation, we can find the points A(1,-2) and B(-1,0) as the points where the curve has a common tangent line.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Find the two points on the curve [tex]y=x^4-2x^2-x[/tex] that have a common tangent line.

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]y=f(x)=x^4-2x^2-x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\right((x^4-2x^2-x)=4x^3-4x-1[/tex]

To my understanding, two points [tex]A,B[/tex] who have a common Tangent such that [tex]T_A=T_B[/tex]

-[tex]A(a,f(a))[/tex]
-[tex]B(b,f(b))[/tex]

[tex]T_A: y=(4a^3-4a-1)x-3a^4+2a^2[/tex]
[tex]T_B: y=(4b^3-4b-1)x-3b^4+2b^2[/tex]

By setting [tex]T_A=T_B[/tex]:

[tex]x(4a^3-4b^3-4a+4b)=3(a^4-b^4)-2(a^2-b^2)[/tex]

--> [tex]x(4(a^3-b^3)-4(a-b))=3(a^2-b^2)(a^2+b^2)-2(a^2-b^2)[/tex]

--> [tex]x((a-b)(4(a^2+ab+b^2)-4)=(a-b)(3(a+b)(a^2+b^2)-2(a+b))[/tex]

--> [tex]x=\frac{3(a+b)(a^2+b^2)-2(a+b)}{4(a^2+ab+b^2)-4)}\right(\[/tex]

Here is where I get lost. I've spent hours re-arranging the numerator and denominator through basic arithmetic operations and trying to get the denominator to cancel out in some way but to no avail. I've spent the last couple of days trying to solve this problem in various ways which is quite embarrassing because the problem seems so simple.

I've also trying setting [tex]T_A=T_B[/tex] and setting the equation equal to zero:

[tex]x(4a^3-4b^3-4a+4b)-3(a^4-b^4)+2(a^2-b^2)=0[/tex]

--> [tex]x(a-b)(4(a^2+ab+b^2)-4)-(a-b)(3(a+b)(a^2+b^2)+2(a+b))=0[/tex]

Here, from factoring the term "(a-b)" and finding the zeroes, i understand a=b, therefore a-b=0, but by substituting the term (a-b) with 0, i get 0. By substituting all a or b terms with the other, i get x=a thus x=b since a=b.

--> [tex]x(4(a^2+ab+b^2)-4)-(3(a+b)(a^2+b^2)+2(a+b))=0[/tex]

--> [tex]2x(2(a^2+ab+b^2)-2)-(a+b)(3(a^2+b^2)+2)=0[/tex]

?:(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All right, I finally got this one, I think. Anyways, my solution is probably not the quickest, but I'll provide an outline and try to find a quicker solution later, maybe.

Let a and b be the points we are trying to determine. Assume a and b are distinct. From f'(a) = f'(b), we get an equality relating a and b (and the number 1). Denote this equality as ***

Without loss of generality, assume b > a. Then [f(b)-f(a)]/(b-a) = f'(b) = f'(a). After lots of factoring and simplification, I got [f(b)-f(a)]/(b-a) = f'(b) down to expressions where the only thing I could use was the equality ***. Applying that twice, I got an extremely simple equality. In fact, you should be able to derive *** and even guess what a and b are. But yeah, from that point onwards, there are probably quicker ways to actually find a and b.

Hi Samuelb88! :smile:

You were doing fine until you got to TA = TB. :tongue2:

But you've completely misunderstood what that means. :redface:

For the lines to be the same, the x terms must be the same (that's one equation) and the constant terms must be the same (that's a separate equation).

Not one big equation! :wink:

tiny-tim said:

You were doing fine until you got to TA = TB. :tongue2:

But you've completely misunderstood what that means. :redface:

For the lines to be the same, the x terms must be the same (that's one equation) and the constant terms must be the same (that's a separate equation).

Not one big equation! :wink:

Still having troubles finding the values or a and b. :(

Alright, so if the slopes are one equation, and the constant (b) is a separate equation, here's what I've worked out.

[tex]y=x^4-2x^2-x[/tex]

From differentiating w.r.t.x., i get:

[tex]y'=4x^3-4x-1[/tex]

The equation of the slopes of the tangent at points A(a,f(a)), B(b,f(b)) which are equal:

[tex]4a^3-4a-1=4b^3-4b-1[/tex]
[tex]= 4(a^3-b^3)-4(a-b)=0[/tex]
[tex]= 4(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2)-4(a-b)=0[/tex]

which leaves me with:

[tex]4(a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2-1)=0[/tex]

Thus, a-b=0; therefore a=b.

And, for [tex]a^2+ab+b^2-1=0[/tex], would be true if a=1 and b=-1. But if a=1, b=-1, then a≠b.

The equation of the constant (b) of the tangent at points A, B which are equal:

[tex]-3a^4+2a^2=-3b^4+2b^2[/tex]
[tex]= -3(a^4-b^4)+2(a^2-b^2)=0[/tex]
[tex]= (a-b)(-3(a^3+a^2b+ab^2+b^3)+2(a+b))=0[/tex]

Again, a-b=0; a=b. And for [tex]-3(a^3+a^2b+ab^2+b^3)+2(a+b)=0[/tex], would be true again if a=1 and b=-1 then a≠b.

I'm confused as to how to prove a=1, b=-1 or if I'm even understanding the problem correctly. :|

------------------------------------

Alternatively, if a=b, then from the equation of the slopes at points A,B which are equal:

[tex]4a^3-4a-1=4b^3-4b-1[/tex]
[tex]=4a(a^2-1)=4b(b^2-1)[/tex] /a=b
[tex]=4a(a^2-1)-4b(a^2-1)=0[/tex] /factor
[tex]=(a^2-1)(a-b)=0[/tex]

Therefore, a= ±1; and a=b; then b= ±1.

Thus:
[tex]x_1=1: y'=-1[/tex]

And:
[tex]x_2=-1: y'=-1[/tex]

Then:
[tex]-1=4x^3-4x-1[/tex]
[tex]0=4x(x^2-1)[/tex]

Therefore:
[tex]x_1=0, x_2=1, x_3=-1[/tex]

Therefore, at the points A(1,-2), B(-1,0), the curve has a common tangent.

Last edited:
Actually, you missed a solution in setting the constants equal. I essentially reached the same equation by a slightly longer route. Note that the assumption a =/= b is an important one to make in this problem. To summarize your steps:

We get

[tex](a-b)(a^2+ab+b^2-1)=0[/tex]

by setting the slopes equal to each other. Assuming that a =/= b gives

[tex](a^2+ab+b^2-1)=0[/tex]

By setting the constants equal,

[tex](a-b)(-3(a^3+a^2b+ab^2+b^3)+2(a+b))=0[/tex]

Since a =/= b, we have

[tex]2(a+b)-3(a^3+a^2b+ab^2+b^3)=0 \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]2(a+b)-3(a+b)(a^2 + b^2)=0 \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex](a+b)(2-3(a^2 + b^2))=0 \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex](a+b)((2a^2 + 2b^2 + 2ab)-3(a^2 + b^2))=0 \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]-(a+b)(a^2 -2ab + b^2)=0 \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex](a+b)(a-b)^2 =0 \Rightarrow,[/tex]

where we substituted the equality [tex]2(a^2+ab+b^2) = 2[/tex] from above. Since a =/= b, it follows that a + b = 0, implying that a = -b, and the rest is straightforward.

ooh … snipez90 just beat me to it! :rolleyes:

First, the tangents at A and B have to be the same if A and B are the same!

So a = b was always going to be a solution (to TA = TB), but it's a solution you have to ignore!

ok, so that leaves two simultaneous equations:

a2 + ab + b2 = 1

3(a4 - b4) = 2(a2 - b2)

At this point, you don't seem to have noticed that you can factor out (a2 - b2) = (a-b)(a+b). :rolleyes:

(If you do that, and then eliminate (a2 + b2), you actually get the inflection points … but they didn't ask you for them, so as it happens it doesn't matter. :wink:).

So a = -b, and you quickly get ±1. :smile:

1. What is a common tangent?

A common tangent is a line that touches two points on a curve at the same time.

2. How are two points on a curve with a common tangent related?

Two points on a curve with a common tangent are related because they share the same tangent line and therefore have the same slope at those points.

3. How do you find the common tangent of two points on a curve?

To find the common tangent of two points on a curve, you first need to find the slope of the curve at each point. Then, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line that passes through both points.

4. Can two points on a curve have more than one common tangent?

Yes, it is possible for two points on a curve to have more than one common tangent. This can occur when the curve has a point of inflection or a cusp, where the curve changes direction.

5. How is the common tangent of two points on a curve useful in mathematics?

The common tangent of two points on a curve is useful in mathematics for finding the slope of a curve at a specific point, as well as for finding the equation of a tangent line at that point. It is also used in optimization problems and in the study of calculus.