Needle which is almost touching a pane of glass

In summary: I didn't divide it at all, but I still feel the 'jerky' movement.In summary, Kev is a little confused about open sets, the fact that the dimension of the surface is one lower than the dimension of the volume, and that such a surface than has a measure of zero.
kkapalk
I am a little confused by movement. It is difficult to explain, but here goes. Say I have a needle which is almost touching a pane of glass, so close if fact that the smallest movement toward the pane would result in the needle touching it. My confusion is, if the needle has to move to touch the pane then is has some distance to travel to get there. The distance can always be divided down. The point when it is not touching does not seem to naturally flow to the point when it is. You could say 'one more billionth of a millimetre movement this time and it is there'.But that would not be the case, as first it has to travel half that, and half that distance before that. I picture moving anything in my mind's eye and always feel that the initial movement is going to be 'jerky', or missing some initial movement out. Can anyone understand what I mean, I do find it hard to elaborate properly. I just feel movement, and time also, do not flow properly.
Kev.

Physics news on Phys.org

This has nothing to do with quantum physics. You are confused about open sets, the fact that the dimension of the surface is one lower than the dimension of the volume, and that such a surface than has a measure of zero.

In quantum physics things don't touch in single points.

Thread moved from the Quantum Physics forum.

Zz.

kkapalk said:
I am a little confused by movement. It is difficult to explain, but here goes. Say I have a needle which is almost touching a pane of glass, so close if fact that the smallest movement toward the pane would result in the needle touching it. My confusion is, if the needle has to move to touch the pane then is has some distance to travel to get there. The distance can always be divided down.
Yes you can divide a finite positive number up into an infinite amount of greater than zero numbers:
1 = 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 ... and so forth
kkapalk said:
The point when it is not touching does not seem to naturally flow to the point when it is. You could say 'one more billionth of a millimetre movement this time and it is there'.But that would not be the case, as first it has to travel half that, and half that distance before that. I picture moving anything in my mind's eye and always feel that the initial movement is going to be 'jerky', or missing some initial movement out.
It would be 'jerky' if the movement would always stop at half of the remaining distance. But if it moves continuously it is not 'jerky'.

kkapalk said:
I am a little confused by movement. It is difficult to explain, but here goes. Say I have a needle which is almost touching a pane of glass, so close if fact that the smallest movement toward the pane would result in the needle touching it. My confusion is, if the needle has to move to touch the pane then is has some distance to travel to get there. The distance can always be divided down. The point when it is not touching does not seem to naturally flow to the point when it is. You could say 'one more billionth of a millimetre movement this time and it is there'.But that would not be the case, as first it has to travel half that, and half that distance before that. I picture moving anything in my mind's eye and always feel that the initial movement is going to be 'jerky', or missing some initial movement out. Can anyone understand what I mean, I do find it hard to elaborate properly. I just feel movement, and time also, do not flow properly.
Kev.

This is almost an exact analogy of Zeno's Achilles and the tortoise paradox.

The solution to the paradox is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_series" , as A.T. points out above.
The infinite sequence: 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16... converges on the very finite number 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC426913 said:
as A.T. points out above.
The infinite sequence: 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16... converges on the very finite number 2.
I said 1 :wink:

Consider:

[tex] S = \frac 1 2 + \frac 1 4 + \frac 1 8 + ... [/tex]

[tex] S = \frac 1 2 ( 1 + \frac 1 2 + \frac 1 4 + ... [/tex]

[tex] 2S = 1 +S [/tex]

[tex] S = 1 [/tex]

My mistake. The sequence I meant to post starts as 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/4 ...

The difference of course is one sequence is :
[tex] \Sigma _{n=0} ^ \infty 2^{-n} [/tex]

vs

[tex] \Sigma _{n=1} ^ \infty 2^{-n} [/tex]

Easy detail to miss.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been to Zeno's Paradox and it is indeed the same as my problem. I do understand that if I divided any space down infinitely it would still be the same size, and also understand that I must be seeing the issue slightly askew. I just find the initial first movement very hard to comprehend. Whatever we decide is the initial distance moved must always be incorrect, as we will have to pass through an infinite number of smaller distances to get to that distance. I get the same confusion with time. To me it seems the present is very elusive, as it is just the point when past and future meet. Each event that occurs in time is infinitely short, in fact no event can exist for any length of time at all. So how can it exist at all? I suppose I am trying to look too deeply into time and motion, and as we all know it is very baffling. Thanks again for the replies,
Kev

kkapalk said:
Each event that occurs in time is infinitely short, in fact no event can exist for any length of time at all. So how can it exist at all?
They "exist" in the same sense as points on a line: they have no extend. Keep in mind that math is just a bunch of abstract concepts made by humans for practial use. It doesn't matter if you consider things like numbers as "really existing" or not. They are just usefull to describe existing things.

kkapalk said:
Whatever we decide is the initial distance moved must always be incorrect, as we will have to pass through an infinite number of smaller distances to get to that distance.
Why?

Why does the abstract concept of passing through an infinite number of smaller distances cause you to think, that, in reality, it can't be done?

DaveC426913 said:
Why?

Why does the abstract concept of passing through an infinite number of smaller distances cause you to think, that, in reality, it can't be done?

I didn't say it cannot be done, I said I found it difficult to understand the measurement.
A.T, thanks for your post. I think you have hit the nail on the head with the comment about numbers and maths just being used by us humans. I think my problem is trying to understand the very complex time and motion with my own limited forms of measurement.

1. What is the science behind a needle being almost touching a pane of glass?

The science behind a needle being almost touching a pane of glass is related to surface tension and adhesion. The needle and the glass have different surface properties, causing the needle to "float" on the surface of the glass due to the attraction between the molecules of the needle and the glass.

2. Why does the needle not break through the glass?

The needle does not break through the glass because the force of the surface tension and adhesion is stronger than the weight of the needle. This allows the needle to remain suspended on the surface of the glass without breaking through it.

3. What happens if the needle is pushed further towards the glass?

If the needle is pushed further towards the glass, the surface tension and adhesion forces will eventually be overcome by the weight of the needle. This will cause the needle to break through the surface of the glass and sink into it.

4. Can this phenomenon occur with other objects besides a needle?

Yes, this phenomenon can occur with other objects besides a needle. Any object with a small enough surface area and weight can be suspended on the surface of the glass, as long as the surface tension and adhesion forces are stronger than the weight of the object.

5. Why is this phenomenon important in science?

This phenomenon is important in science because it demonstrates the properties of surface tension and adhesion. It also has practical applications, such as in microfluidics and the development of self-cleaning surfaces.