LHC vs Cosmic Rays: What's the Difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of energies in the center-of-mass frame between cosmic rays and the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The LHC is designed to run at 14 TeV for proton beams and 1150 TeV for lead beams, while the highest energy cosmic rays have energies of about 750 TeV in the center of mass frame. The conversation also mentions the concept of "Oh My God particles", which are particles with extremely high energies that can potentially create stable black holes. The comparison between cosmic rays and the LHC is done in the same reference frame using a Lorentz transformation.
Dmitry67
Short question.

I know that COLLIDING beams are much more effective than when moving particle hits a target in observers reference frame. That is why they make a collider.

However, when Oh My God particles are observed they actually hit something that something does not move.

So, when we say that we can't reproduce Cosmic Rays energies on LHC, what exactly do we compare? What reference frame do we use?

Do we compare energies per particle in our rest frame (ignoring that it is a collider) or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, please don't call them "Oh My God particles". That's like calling San Francisco "Frisco".

To compare, we use energies in the center-of-mass frame. The highest energy cosmic rays have energies in the center of mass frame (assuming proton-proton collisions) of about 750 TeV. The LHC is designed to run proton beams at 14 TeV, and lead beams at about 1150 TeV.

Dmitry67 said:
Short question.

I know that COLLIDING beams are much more effective than when moving particle hits a target in observers reference frame. That is why they make a collider.

However, when Oh My God particles are observed they actually hit something that something does not move.

So, when we say that we can't reproduce Cosmic Rays energies on LHC, what exactly do we compare? What reference frame do we use?

Do we compare energies per particle in our rest frame (ignoring that it is a collider) or not?

You compare apples to apples in the same reference. Just use a lorentz transformation on the energy to make the change.

BTW what is an Oh My God particle?

An oh my god particle is when the gluon actually breaks an creates a stable black hole, the RHIC merely stretced a few gluons for a fraction of time, see this link to see what happened when they did that...http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/03/0318_050318_pin_blackhole.html The LHC will do much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the LHC and how does it differ from cosmic rays?

The LHC, or Large Hadron Collider, is a particle accelerator located at CERN in Switzerland. It is used to accelerate and collide particles at high energies in order to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws of nature. Cosmic rays, on the other hand, are high-energy particles that originate from outer space and can reach Earth's atmosphere. These particles are constantly bombarding Earth and can also be studied by scientists.

2. How does the LHC produce particles for study?

The LHC uses a series of powerful magnets to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light. The particles are then collided with each other, and the resulting debris is observed by detectors.

3. What types of particles are studied at the LHC?

The LHC primarily studies two types of particles: protons and lead ions. Protons are the particles that make up the nucleus of atoms, while lead ions are heavy, charged particles. By accelerating and colliding these particles, scientists can study the elementary particles that make up the protons and ions.

4. How do cosmic rays and the LHC contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Cosmic rays and the LHC both provide valuable information about the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws of nature. By studying the particles produced by cosmic rays and the collisions at the LHC, scientists can gain insight into the origins of the universe, the nature of dark matter, and other mysteries of the cosmos.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with the LHC's high-energy collisions?

There is no evidence to suggest that the collisions at the LHC pose any significant danger. The energy levels reached by the collisions are similar to those produced by cosmic rays in nature. Additionally, the LHC has numerous safety measures in place to prevent any potential harm to humans or the environment.