It's never too late to be who you might have been.

• Thread starter Monocerotis
  • Start date
In summary, Edward Witten is a mathematician who has worked on a variety of projects, some of which have been published in respected journals. He has a passion for astronomy and is currently working on a project with a couple of younger colleagues. He has never met any of them in person, though they communicate through data-laden emails.
Monocerotis
Gold Member
Hey to those perusing the mathematics forums.

I was just wondering if there are any others out there who are pursuing/pursued the study of mathematics "later" on in their life ?

I realized 1/2 of the way through my first degree (political science/criminology) that it wasn't the path I wanted to head down for the rest of my life. An astronomy elective I took second year really opened up my eyes, ever since then I knew what I was meant to do.
[Astronomy theory -> Physics theory -> Mathematical theory -> Physics/Math]

I finished the degree, and now I'm going to be heading back to university again next year to study Mathematics & Physics. I'm really looking forward to it.

So what's your story if you've got one ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Was just going to move this thread from general math to general discussion. My bad, and thanks :S

I have always loved astronomy, but it was an avocation until a few years ago when research became a passion. The Internet, and the availability of NED, IRSA, HyperLEDA, and other large databases have made it possible for amateurs to conduct research, discover interesting stuff, and publish peer-reviewed papers on their findings.

I'm working with a couple of younger guys, and we published a paper on interacting galaxies recently, and have another one in the works (data is collected, we are composing the text). Another person (with good math-stats skills) has joined our little group in the last year or so and will co-author with us on the next publication. He is retired and in his 70's. Too old? I don't think so - if you've got the fire in your belly and an inquisitive mind with good problem-solving skills, age is just a number.

BTW, none of us has ever met in person. I started the project as a one-off, another collaborator from Finland wanted to help me extend the research, and another guy in New York jumped in. We get along well - it's only data-laden emails for the most part, along with an internal system for establishing consensus in regard to problematic associations. The occasional back-and-forth about how to satisfy the requests of referees when tweaking a paper are not contentious, either, though it's good training in the discipline of getting good peer-reviewed publication. Our archive of shared emails, spreadsheets, etc would give pause to anybody considering this method of research and publication. Upon hearing of our initial project early-on, a well-respected observational astronomer told us (paraphrasing) "You're nuts. You have no grad students to enslave, no grants for funding, and no institutional associations to exploit. You're going to beat yourselves into the ground." It was a lot of work that we all had to do on our personal time, but it was all worth it. Astrophysics and Space Science is a well-respected journal, and I wish that I had taken a skeptic's bet when he stated that that the initial paper I envisioned would never see print.

Last edited:
Monocerotis said:
You're Edward Witten ?

We are all Ed Witten.

Inside.

What does the quote "It's never too late to be who you might have been" mean?

The quote means that it is never too late to pursue your dreams or become the person you have always wanted to be, even if you have strayed from that path in the past.

Is it really never too late to be who you might have been?

While there may be certain limitations and constraints, it is never too late to make changes and work towards becoming the person you desire to be.

How do I start being who I might have been?

Start by identifying your dreams and goals, and then create a plan to work towards them. It's important to take action and stay committed to the process, even if it takes time.

What if I don't know who I might have been?

It's never too late to explore your passions and try new things. Take time to reflect on what truly makes you happy and fulfilled, and then make small steps towards incorporating those things into your life.

Are there any success stories of people who have lived by this quote?

Yes, there are many success stories of individuals who have followed their dreams and become who they wanted to be, even later in life. Examples include writers, artists, entrepreneurs, and more.