Find Voltage: How to Solve for V_1 and V_2 using Mesh Current Method

• Thread starter Heat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the mesh current method to solve a circuit problem and finding the values of v_1 and v_2. The individual uses equations such as V=IR and KVL to solve for these values, specifically focusing on the parallel elements connected to the current source. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the solution for v_2 being 8 V.
Heat

Homework Statement

Hi I'm trying to solve the following using mesh current method, instead of node voltage.

For this I decided to use supermesh.

I made loop 1 the leftmost loop, and loop 2 combination of the center and right loop.

-150 + 20I1 + 80(I1-I2) = 0
40I2 = 4I2 = 80 (I2-I1) = 0

solving for this gives:

I1 = 3.10 A
I2 = 2 AI'm supposed to find v_1 and v_2. So since to find v_1, I do the following

3.10 - 2 = 1.1
V=IR = (1.1 A)(80 ohms) = 88 V <--------seems about right.

So now I'm trying to find v_2.

The only equations, I'm familiar is p = vi , p = i^2R v = ir. and since the current is given of 11.25 A for that portion.
V_2 = (11.25)(R)

I don't know how to proceed. I'm thinking about applying KVL, since voltage across a loop is 0.

which would be on second loop

-80(1.1 A)+40(2 A) + v_2 = 0
v_2 = 8 V <-----------I'm not sure if this is right, or if anything I did is right. :(

Circuit: http://imgur.com/LLno5.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
V2 is the voltage across the current source. Ask yourself if there are other elements in the circuit that must also have the same drop in potential across them. In other words, are there elements connected in parallel with the current source? Hope that helps :)

I'm not sure I understand. I see that the 5ohm resistor is in parallel to the 3 A current source.

I'm guessing you meant the 4ohm resistor and not 5ohm since I don't see one in the circuit. The resistor in parallel with the current source has the same voltage across it as the current source. So if you know the current through that resistor, you can calculate the voltage drop (v=ir), which is the same voltage as V2.

What is the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method is a technique used to find the voltage across different elements in a circuit. It involves assigning a current variable to each mesh or loop in the circuit and using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to create equations that can be solved to find the desired voltages.

What is the difference between V1 and V2?

V1 and V2 are the voltages across two different elements in a circuit, typically represented by two different mesh currents. V1 refers to the voltage across a specific element or loop, while V2 refers to the voltage across a different element or loop.

How do I solve for V1 and V2 using the Mesh Current Method?

To solve for V1 and V2 using the Mesh Current Method, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Assign current variables to each mesh or loop in the circuit.
  2. Use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to create equations for each mesh or loop.
  3. Solve the resulting equations to find the values of the current variables.
  4. Substitute the values of the current variables into the equations for V1 and V2 to find their respective voltages.

When should I use the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method is best used when there are multiple voltage sources and complex circuits with several elements. It is also useful when you need to find the voltage across specific elements in the circuit.

Are there any limitations to using the Mesh Current Method?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using the Mesh Current Method. It can only be used for circuits that can be represented by a planar graph, meaning all elements are in the same plane. It also cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources or non-linear elements.