Conservation of Momentum in a Spaceship Explosion

In summary, the third section of a spaceship with a mass of 7.5*10^5 [kg] has a velocity of 9.6*10^6 [m/s] using vector sum of p(vector)=m*v(vector).
Beers Law
Hi all,

I have become frusturated at a conservation of momentum problem. A space ship(ss) with a mass of 2.0*10^6 [kg] is crusing at a speed of 5.0*10^6 [m/s], when it blows up. One section(s1), with mass 5.0*10^5 [kg] is blown straight backwards at a speed of 2.0*10^6 [m/s]. The second section(s2), with mass 8.0*10^5 [kg], continues forwards at a speed of 1.0*10^6 [m/s]. A third section moves at a certain speed.

Trying to find the speed of the third section, I initally approached the problem as a kinetic energy problem, considering that I might be able to use KE=(1/2)mv^2 and simply subtract s1+s2 from ss because the explosion is internal and the change in kinetic energy will be 0:

First, the third section has a mass of 7.0*10^5[kg]

KE(ss)=2.5*10^19 [J]
KE(s1)= 1.0*10^18 [J]
KE(s2)= 4.0*10^17 [J]

KE(s1+s2)= 1.4*10^18[J]

So I subtracted this from KE(ss):

2.5*10^19 [J]-1.4*10^18[J]= 2.36*10^19 [J], which is the KE for the third section

Then I set up 2.36*10^19 [J] = (1/2)*(7.0*10^5)(v_s3)^2, and I obtained a velocity for the third section of v_s3= 7.93*10^6 [m/s]! The solution in the back of the book reads 1.46*10^7 [m/s].

So, ok, this is obviously not the correct way to set up this problem, so I did vector sum for momentum using p(vector)=m*v(vector).

The spaceship has a vector 9.45*10^12 [kg*m/s]
Section1 has vector 1.144*10^12 [kg*m/s]
Section2 has vector 1.105*10^12 [kg*m/s]

Section 3 has mass of 7.5*10^5 [kg]. I subtracted section1+section2 vectors from the spaceship vector, and the result was 7.201*10^12 [kg*m/s]. Then I inserted this back into the p(vector)=m*v(vector):

7.201*10^12 [kg*m/s]= 7.5*10^5[kg] * v

I solved for v and received 9.6*10^6[m/s].

Im obviously not doing something right. I think I may not be factoring in that these are vectors? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Beers Law said:
Trying to find the speed of the third section, I initally approached the problem as a kinetic energy problem, considering that I might be able to use KE=(1/2)mv^2 and simply subtract s1+s2 from ss because the explosion is internal and the change in kinetic energy will be 0:
Forget about KE. It's not conserved in an explosion.

First, the third section has a mass of 7.0*10^5[kg]
Right.

So, ok, this is obviously not the correct way to set up this problem, so I did vector sum for momentum using p(vector)=m*v(vector).
Right, but realize that vectors have direction. (Or at least a sign.)

The spaceship has a vector 9.45*10^12 [kg*m/s]
Why 9.45? 2.0 x 5.0 = 10. And in what direction? Call it the positive x-direction.
Section1 has vector 1.144*10^12 [kg*m/s]
Section2 has vector 1.105*10^12 [kg*m/s]
Again, check your arithmetic. Section 1 moves backwards: that's the negative x-direction; Section 2 moves forward: the positive x-direction.

Section 3 has mass of 7.5*10^5 [kg].
Yet another arithmetic error!
I subtracted section1+section2 vectors from the spaceship vector, and the result was 7.201*10^12 [kg*m/s].
Careful! Signs matter.
Im obviously not doing something right. I think I may not be factoring in that these are vectors? Thanks for any help.
Two main mistakes: (1) arithmetic errors (2) not properly treating the sign (which represents the direction, in this case) of the vectors.

Thanks for the help. Here is what I have done.

The Ship has a vector of +1.0*10^13.
Section 1 has a vector of -1.0*10^12.
Section 2 has a vector of +8.0*10^11
So, section 3 has a vector of 1.02*10^13, which I set up this way:

1.02*10^13= 700000*v, which returns 1.457*10^7, which is most excellent.

My mistakes are fairly embarassing, but not keeping things organized and thinking too far ahead are my achilles heel with physics.

Thanks again.

1. How does conservation of momentum apply to a spaceship explosion?

When a spaceship explodes, the total momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the combined momentum of all the individual pieces before and after the explosion is the same. The direction of the momentum may change, but the total amount stays the same.

2. Why is conservation of momentum important in a spaceship explosion?

Conservation of momentum is important because it helps us understand the force and energy involved in a spaceship explosion. It also allows us to predict the motion of the individual pieces after the explosion.

3. How does the mass of the spaceship affect conservation of momentum in an explosion?

The mass of the spaceship does not affect conservation of momentum. As long as no external forces act on the system, the total momentum will remain constant regardless of the mass of the spaceship.

4. Does conservation of momentum apply to all types of explosions?

Yes, conservation of momentum applies to all types of explosions, as long as no external forces act on the system. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all objects and systems.

5. Can conservation of momentum be violated in a spaceship explosion?

No, conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. Therefore, it cannot be violated in a spaceship explosion or any other physical process.