Summer Research: Benefits of Summer Programs vs Visiting Scholar

In summary, the benefits of participating in an NIST SURF or NSF REU program are that you are a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident and that some research is available for you to pursue.
nanoapple
Hello everyone,

I'm a 3rd year student at Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology.
What's the benefits of summer programs like SURF in comparison with "visiting scholar" program, when I'll looking for research and contacting professors by myself?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
To take part in an NIST SURF or NSF REU program, you must be a United States citizen. I'm not really familiar with any programs in the U.S. that are specific to foreign students besides study abroad programs.

As for SURF, some of research are available for international students.

nanoapple said:

My mistake. Then I would try to get into a SURF program. These programs are well structured and well thought out, so they will be more beneficial than an informal type of visiting scholar program. They usually have a set of topics or a specific topic that you will pursue throughout the summer. These programs have to reapply for funding each year, so they are usually high quality.

nanoapple said:

Are you sure? Read part of the requirement:

http://www.surf.nist.gov/pdf/fedreg2010.pdf

1. Eligible Applicants
NIST’s SURF Gaithersburg Programs are open to colleges and universities in the United States and its territories with degree granting programs in materials science, chemistry, nanoscale science, neutron research, engineering, computer science, mathematics, or physics. Participating students must be U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents.

There are other summer research programs where international students might qualify, but even then, these are open to international students who are already matriculating at US educational institutions. There are very few (if any, and I haven't see one) programs initiated by US agencies and govt. institutions that are open to international students from outside the US.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure :) coz I had an opportunity to apply. But I've failed =(

I mean this program http://surf.caltech.edu/applicants/application/international.html

Moreover, I know program for only students from the former Soviet Union at Fermilab http://apc.fnal.gov/parti/howtoapply.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the benefits of participating in a summer research program?

Participating in a summer research program allows students to gain hands-on experience in their chosen field, work closely with faculty mentors, and potentially publish their work in a professional journal. It also provides the opportunity to network with other students and professionals in their field and potentially receive funding for future research projects.

How do summer research programs differ from visiting scholar opportunities?

Summer research programs are typically shorter in duration and are designed specifically for undergraduate or graduate students. Visiting scholar opportunities, on the other hand, are usually open to more experienced researchers and may last for several months or even a year. Visiting scholars often have more autonomy in their research projects and may be able to access more resources at the host institution.

What are some potential drawbacks of participating in a summer research program?

Some potential drawbacks of participating in a summer research program include the time commitment and potential conflicts with other summer activities, such as internships or travel. There may also be limited funding available for summer research programs, making them less accessible for some students. Additionally, the competitive nature of these programs may create added stress for students.

How can participating in a summer research program enhance a student's academic and career prospects?

Participating in a summer research program can provide students with valuable research experience, which can make them stand out in graduate school and job applications. It can also help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which are highly sought after by employers. Additionally, students may be able to build relationships and receive strong letters of recommendation from their faculty mentors.

What types of research opportunities are typically available through summer programs and visiting scholar positions?

Summer research programs and visiting scholar positions can cover a wide range of research topics, depending on the host institution and the specific program. Some may focus on laboratory-based research, while others may involve fieldwork or data analysis. Some programs may also offer interdisciplinary research opportunities, allowing students to explore topics outside of their primary field of study.