Solving equation involving trigonometry and complex numbers

In summary, the solutions of the equation 2sin(z) + cos(z) = isin(z) can be found by using the equation e^{-iz} = cos(z) + isin(z) and solving for z. The final solution is z = (n\pi-\frac{\pi}{8}) - \frac{1}{4}iln2, where n is any integer.
thepopasmurf

Homework Statement

Show that the solutions of the equation

[tex]2sin(z) + cos(z) = isin(z)[/tex]

are given by

[tex] z = (n\pi-\frac{\pi}{8}) - \frac{1}{4}iln2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] e^{iz} = cos(z) + isin(z) [/tex]
[tex] sinz = \frac{1}{2i}(e^{z}-e^{-z}) [/tex]

[tex] z_{1}^{z_{2}} = e^{z_{2}lnz_{1}} [/tex]
[tex] lnz = lnr + i(\theta + 2n\pi) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] 2sinz + cosz = isinz [/tex]
[tex] cosz - isinz = -2sinz [/tex]
[tex] e^{-iz} = -\frac{1}{i}(e^z-e^{-z}) [/tex]

[tex] e^{-iz} = i(e^z-e^{-z}) [/tex]

[tex] e^{-iz} = e^{i\pi/2}(e^z-e^{-z}) [/tex]

[tex] e^{-iz} = e^{i\pi/2+z}-e^{i\pi/2-z} [/tex]

[tex] lne^{-iz + 2n\pi} = ln( e^{i\pi/2+z-i\pi/2+z}) [/tex]

[tex] 2z = -iz + 2ni\pi [/tex]

[tex] (2+i)z = 2ni\pi [/tex]

[tex] z = \frac{2ni\pi}{2+i} = 2ni\pi\frac{2-i}{5} = \frac{4ni\pi}{5} + \frac{2n\pi}{5} [/tex]

Don't know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
thepopasmurf said:
[tex] e^{-iz} = -\frac{1}{i}(e^z-e^{-z}) [/tex]

You are missing [itex]i[/itex]'s in the exponents on the right-hand side.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've retried it but the answer is still incorrect. I got z=2n(pi)/3

1. What is the difference between solving equations involving trigonometry and complex numbers?

Solving equations involving trigonometry typically involves finding the values of angles and lengths using the properties of triangles and trigonometric functions. On the other hand, solving equations involving complex numbers involves finding the values of complex variables using algebraic operations and the properties of complex numbers.

2. Can complex numbers be used in trigonometric equations?

Yes, complex numbers can be used in trigonometric equations. In fact, complex numbers can be represented in polar form, where the angle represents a trigonometric function and the modulus represents the length of the complex number.

3. How do I solve equations involving both trigonometry and complex numbers?

To solve equations involving both trigonometry and complex numbers, you can use the properties of both trigonometric functions and complex numbers. You may also need to use the identities and formulas of both concepts to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving equations involving trigonometry and complex numbers?

Some common mistakes when solving equations involving trigonometry and complex numbers include forgetting to convert between radians and degrees, using the wrong identities or formulas, and making computational errors. It is important to double-check your work and to be familiar with the properties and formulas of both concepts.

5. Are there any tips for solving complex trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving complex trigonometric equations include converting complex numbers to polar form, using the identities and formulas to simplify the equation, and approaching the problem with a systematic and organized approach. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with the properties and relationships between trigonometric functions and complex numbers.