An intuitive explanation to the Killing equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Killing vector fields and their geometric significance. The Killing equation, which is specified in terms of the covariant derivative, implies that the deformation generated by a Killing vector field preserves distances. This is similar to the definition using the Lie derivative, where the metric does not change and distances are preserved. However, the conversation also raises the question of why the Killing equation has this effect, and an intuitive explanation is sought.
kvf
Hello,

Your forum was very helpful in giving intuitive geometric explanations to various concepts from differential geometry, so I was hoping you could perhaps help me with the following.
I'm interested in Killing vector fields. I understand that a tangent vector field X is a Killing vector field if the Lie derivative of the metric with respect to X is 0 - this has some geometric meaning.
On the other hand, the Killing equation is specified in terms of the covariant derivative of X, and one reaches this equation by manipulating the Lie derivative condition. My question is: is there some intuitive (geometric) explanation to the Killing equation?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the easiest way to explain it is by what Wikipedia has:

A Killing field is one where when you move points along the field, distances are preserved.

So http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_vector_field" when you'e got a Killing field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you bndnchrs, but I was looking for an intuitive explanation as to why the Killing equation, given in terms of the covariant derivative, implies that the deformation generated by a Killing vector field preserves distances.

For example, the definition using the Lie derivative (the Lie derivative of the metric = 0), means the metric does not change, and so the deformation preserves distances.
But why does the Killing equation imply the deformation preserves distances?

1. What is the Killing equation?

The Killing equation is a mathematical equation that is used in differential geometry to describe the behavior of vector fields on a manifold. It is named after Wilhelm Killing, a German mathematician who first introduced it in the late 19th century.

2. What is the significance of the Killing equation?

The Killing equation is significant because it helps us to understand the symmetries of a manifold. It is used to identify vector fields that preserve the geometric structure of a manifold, such as its curvature and metric. These vector fields are known as Killing vector fields.

3. How is the Killing equation derived?

The Killing equation can be derived from the definition of a Lie derivative, which is a measure of how a vector field changes along another vector field. By setting the Lie derivative of a metric tensor equal to zero, we arrive at the Killing equation, which describes the conditions for a vector field to preserve the metric tensor.

4. What are some applications of the Killing equation?

The Killing equation has various applications in physics, particularly in the fields of general relativity and particle physics. In general relativity, it is used to study the symmetries of spacetime, while in particle physics, it is used to describe the symmetries of particle interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Killing equation?

One limitation of the Killing equation is that it only applies to Riemannian manifolds, which have a positive definite metric. It cannot be used on pseudo-Riemannian manifolds, which have a non-definite metric. Additionally, the Killing equation does not capture all possible symmetries of a manifold, as there may be more general transformations that preserve the geometric structure but do not satisfy the equation.