A proof needed, problem in Perron-frobenius theory

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rank of an operator A from V to V given that its matrix is positive and that A^k = A for some integer k > 1. The participant suggests that the rank of A is 1, with a proof for the case where k = 2. They also mention having difficulty finding a general proof. However, they later provide a solution, showing that the rank of A is indeed 1 by using the Perron-Frobenius theorem and eigenvalues.
Jakesaccount

Homework Statement

Let A be an operator from V to V(finite). If the matrix of A is positive, i.e. all entries are strictly positive, and A^k=A for some integer k>1 what is the rank of A?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that rank(A)=1 and i believe that i can prove in the case where k=2.

Proof: if A^2=A then the eigenvalues of A are 0 and 1, which means that the perron root of A is 1. Perron-frobenius theory then states the the eigenspace of 1 has geometric mult.=algebraic mult. = 1. Furthermore since A(Ax)=(Ax) for all vectors x in V, the range is a subspace of the eigenspace corresponding to the eigenvalue 1. And since Ax=x is a subspace of the range, the range of A = the eigenspace corresponding to the eigenvalue 1, which has geom. mult = dim(range space) = rank(A)=1

Im have trouble finding a general proof. Any help is greatly appreciated. I know I'm new here but I promise to look around and see if I can lend a hand to anyone :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Allright so I solved this myself. Here is the solution if anyone is interested:

Let y be an eigenvalue to A. Then y^n=y which implies y^n-y=0 so y(y^(n-1)-1)=0.
This implies either that y=0 or that y=e^(2pi(k-1)i/(n-1) ) for k=1,...,n-2. This means that all y which are not 0 has abs(y)=1 and that 1 is an eigenvalue. But this means that y=1 is the perron root of A and so by the perron theorem all other eigenvalues must be smaller in modulus, which implies that all other eigenvalues are zero.

But y=0 has the algebraic multiplicity 1 and by the perron theorem so does y=1. Since V can be written as the direct sum of the generalized eigenspaces this means that range(A) = the eigenspace corresponding to y=1 which has dimension 1 by the perron theorem. So rank(A)=1 QED.

1. What is the Perron-Frobenius theory?

The Perron-Frobenius theory is a mathematical theory that deals with the properties of positive matrices. It is used to study the behavior and properties of systems that involve positive matrices, such as Markov chains and dynamical systems.

2. What is the significance of the Perron-Frobenius theorem?

The Perron-Frobenius theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing positive matrices and their associated systems. It has applications in various fields such as economics, biology, and physics.

3. What is the "proof needed" problem in Perron-Frobenius theory?

The "proof needed" problem refers to the challenge of proving the existence and uniqueness of the Perron-Frobenius eigenvalue and eigenvector for a given positive matrix. This problem has been a subject of research for many years and is still an open question for certain types of matrices.

4. What are some common applications of the Perron-Frobenius theory?

The Perron-Frobenius theory has a wide range of applications, including the study of population dynamics, graph theory, and the stability of dynamical systems. It is also used in fields such as economics, where it can be applied to model and analyze economic systems.

5. What are some limitations of the Perron-Frobenius theory?

Although the Perron-Frobenius theory is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It only applies to positive matrices, so it cannot be used for matrices with negative or complex entries. Additionally, the theory does not provide a method for calculating the Perron-Frobenius eigenvalue and eigenvector, which can make it difficult to apply in certain situations.