Does damping of period affect the period?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of damping on the period of a pendulum. The speaker is wondering if damping (drag) increases the period of a pendulum as opposed to if it was in a vacuum. They mention giving a presentation on how the period of a physical pendulum increases as the mass distribution changes and question whether damping actually changes the period. In response, it is stated that over damping and critical damping produce non-periodic motion, while under damping results in a frequency less than the natural frequency. The amount of damping for air pendulums is very small and has a negligible effect on the period.
sajama
Hi there,

Sorry typo in the title and I can't figure out how to change it!
I am just wondering if anyone can help me - does damping (drag) increase the period of a pendulum? As opposed to if it was in a vacuum?

I have been trying to figure this out for some time - I know that drag is dependent on the velocity of the period, but does it actually change the period?

I am giving a presentation on how the period of a physical pendulum increases as the mass distribution changes (centre of mass lowers, the effective length gets longer) and I was once told by a lecturer that damping does not in fact change the period, but I don't see how? Surely it would slow it down, thus increasing the period?

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this!

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, over damping and critical damping of the system produce non-periodic motion.
Under damping will produce a frequency that is less than the natural frequency by an amount that depends on the "damping ratio".
Plenty of information here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping#System_behavior
For air pendulums the amount of damping is very small, resulting in a negligible decrease.

Imagine a pendulum in honey. Will it take longer for it to make a full oscillation?

1. Does adding damping affect the period of a pendulum?

Yes, adding damping to a pendulum will affect its period. The period of a pendulum is determined by the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. Damping, which is the dissipation of energy due to friction, will cause the pendulum to slow down and decrease its period.

2. How does damping affect the period of a spring-mass system?

Damping also affects the period of a spring-mass system. The period of a spring-mass system is determined by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the damping coefficient. Increasing the damping coefficient will decrease the period of the system.

3. Can damping cause the period of a system to become infinite?

No, damping cannot cause the period of a system to become infinite. Damping will always cause the period of a system to decrease, but it will never reach zero or become infinite. The period will approach a minimum value as damping increases.

4. How does damping affect the amplitude of a system?

Damping will also affect the amplitude of a system. As damping increases, the amplitude of the system will decrease. This is because damping dissipates energy from the system, causing it to lose its kinetic energy and decrease its amplitude over time.

5. Is there an optimal amount of damping for a system?

Yes, there is an optimal amount of damping for a system. Too much damping will cause the system to lose too much energy and reach its equilibrium position too quickly, resulting in a small amplitude and a short period. Too little damping will cause the system to oscillate with a large amplitude for a long period of time. The optimal damping will result in a system with a moderate amplitude and a moderately short period.