Can anyone suggest to me a method to solve the following?

• Thread starter JonoSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses an integral equation that is being used to model an epidemic. The original equation was missing some notation and was difficult to understand, but the participants worked together to clarify the notation and integrate both sides of the equation. The final result is a solution for S(t) in terms of a constant of integration and the initial conditions.
JonoSmith
I have the following DE that I am trying to integrate. I have been looking at Integrating Factors, but am not sure if it is applicable to this example.

∫〖1/S ds〗= -α∫ PA.e^αPt/ (1+A.e^αPt)

As I said, some tips on a method to do this would be better than solving it for me, because i want to look into it myself and try and see what is going on

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any idea?

Not even an idea what it means.

Hi Jono. Let me be frank with you. That's indecipherable for me and perhaps others too. For one thing you use little s and big S in the same expression on the left. Also, there are some spurious block-characters in your notation which makes it also cryptic. Then you have no differential on the right side in the integral expression. Now I'm new here and I'm not one to criticize even if I'm old but that is why I think no one is responding. So if you could remember to write your math as utterly nice as humanly possible, I think you would get more replies, like for example:

[itex]\int \frac{1}{s}ds=-\alpha\int \frac{P a e^{\alpha P t}}{1+A e^{\alpha P t}}dt[/itex]

if that indeed is what it is suppose to be.

Last edited:
JonoSmith said:
I'm using it to model an Epidemic

∫〖1/S ds〗= -α∫ PA.e^αPt/ (1+A.e^αPt)

What do your S and s represent?

JonoSmith said:
Cheers Jack, I am also new here and was not aware of this Latex Equation input, will give it a go now to see.

[tex] \int \frac{1}{S} dS=-\alpha\int \frac{P A e^{\alpha P t}}{1+A e^{\alpha P t}}dt [/tex]

Is how it is supposed to look. So from here if anyone is able to give me some help it would be much appreciated.

Very good then. Integrate both sides. Note that if I let [itex]u=1+Ae^{\alpha P t}[/itex] then [itex]du=A\alpha P e^{\alpha Pt}dt[/itex]. Then:

[itex]\ln|S|=-\int\frac{1}{u}du[/itex]

or:

[itex]S(t)=K\frac{1}{1+Ae^{\alpha P t}}[/itex]

where K is a constant of integration dependent on the initial conditions or you could have integrated explicitly:

[tex] \int_{S_0}^{S(t)} \frac{1}{S} dS=-\alpha\int_{t_0}^t \frac{P A e^{\alpha P t}}{1+A e^{\alpha P t}}dt [/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you, that makes sense to me.

Cheers so much for the help.

1. How do I approach a difficult problem in science?

There is no one right way to approach a difficult problem in science, as it often depends on the specific problem and your personal style of problem-solving. However, some general tips include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking advice or collaborating with others, and experimenting with different approaches until you find one that works.

2. Are there any specific problem-solving methods used in science?

Yes, there are several problem-solving methods commonly used in science, including the scientific method, trial and error, deductive reasoning, and inductive reasoning. Each method has its own strengths and weaknesses, and the best approach will depend on the nature of the problem.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in science?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills in science is to practice regularly by working on a variety of problems. Additionally, seeking feedback from colleagues or mentors can help identify areas for improvement. It can also be helpful to read about and learn from the problem-solving techniques of other scientists.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should try different problem-solving methods?

No, there is no set order in which you should try different problem-solving methods. It is often beneficial to experiment with multiple methods and approaches until you find one that works for the specific problem you are trying to solve.

5. How can I stay motivated when faced with a difficult problem in science?

It can be challenging to stay motivated when faced with a difficult problem in science, but there are a few strategies that can help. Break the problem down into smaller, achievable goals to track your progress. Seek advice or collaborate with others to gain new perspectives. And remember to take breaks and engage in activities that help you recharge and refocus.