Quantum mechanics momentum operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics and the justification for assuming that the coordinate x is time independent. It is explained that in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, time is not considered a separate degree of freedom and only the spatial coordinates are. The use of x(t) to denote the position of the particle is also mentioned.
mohammed.omar
Hi All,

I've seen many derivations for the momentum operator, but I've a rather naive problem that I cannot figure out in the derivation done by Griffiths in "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" book. In chapter 1, when he derives the momentum operator he states:

[tex]\frac{d <x> }{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\int x |\psi (x,t)|^2 dx =
\int x \frac{\partial}{\partial t} |\psi (x,t)|^2 dx [/tex]

i.e. He assumed [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} x = 0 [/tex]

Why did he do that? Is there any justification for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
X is just a coordinate. Why would it depend on t?

Thanks alxm.

I got it, but I mixed up the wave nature with the particle nature. I thought x would represent the position of the particle with time. This is very embarrassing.

Thanks a lot alxm.

No need for embarrassment. If you figured that out now, you're earlier than a lot of students I've seen who don't think about it enough, and then suddenly get surprised when they move to many-particle systems and can't figure out why the wave function is suddenly 3N-dimensional.

Thanks alxm.

This is rather interesting. For an N-particle system, there will be 3N dimensional wave function other than time? 3 generalized for each particle?

mohammed.omar said:
Thanks alxm.

This is rather interesting. For an N-particle system, there will be 3N dimensional wave function other than time? 3 generalized for each particle?

Yes, exactly. In non-relativistic quantum mechanics time is not considered a separate degree of freedom; only the spatial coordinates are.

PS In Griffiths the coordinate x is always an operator, and therefore time independent. But plenty of other books use x(t) (or sometimes q(t)) to denote the position of the particle, so it's good to be weary of that!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot xepma. Your reply was very useful.

1. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that represents the momentum of a particle in a quantum system. It is denoted by the symbol p and is defined as the product of the mass of the particle and its velocity.

2. How is the momentum operator related to the position operator in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator is related to the position operator through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. The two operators are also related mathematically through the commutation relation [x,p]=iħ, where x is the position operator, p is the momentum operator, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

3. What is the physical significance of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator has a physical significance in quantum mechanics as it represents the observable quantity of momentum, which is a fundamental property of particles. It is used to calculate the expectation value of the momentum of a particle in a given quantum state, and it also plays a crucial role in determining the evolution of a quantum system over time.

4. How does the momentum operator behave under certain operations in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator behaves differently under different operations in quantum mechanics. For example, under the operation of time evolution, the momentum operator remains constant, while under the operation of spatial translation, it changes according to the position of the particle. Additionally, under the operation of parity transformation, the momentum operator changes its sign, indicating a change in the direction of the particle's momentum.

5. What are the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The eigenvalues of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics are continuous and can take on any real value. The corresponding eigenfunctions are the plane waves, which are solutions to the Schrödinger equation, and they represent the probability amplitude of finding a particle with a particular momentum value in a given quantum state. These eigenfunctions are characterized by their momentum and direction of motion.