Eigenvalues of total angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the eigenvalues of total angular momentum between two different states. The matrix element of <S, L, J, M_J | J^2 | S', L', J', M'_J> is also brought up, but the notation and methodology used is unclear. The conversation ends with a discussion about finding the eigenstates of J for three particles. The formula <A| J |B> = delta(j_a, j_b)*delta(m_a+-1,m_b)*sqrt ((j_b+-m_b)*(j_b-+j_b+1)) is mentioned as a potential solution, but the need for diagonalization is also mentioned.
stefano
Who knows the formula to calculate the eigenvalues of total angular momentum between two different states? In particular, what is the matrix element of

<S, L, J, M_J | J^2 | S', L', J', M'_J> ?

Thank's...

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh? You've given the states here with j being one of the quantum numbers, which makes the problem trivial. Can you clarify?

And so? What is the trivial answer?

stefano said:
And so? What is the trivial answer?

J^2 delta_(J,J') delta(s,s') delta(l,l') delta(m,m')

cheers,
Patrick

stefano said:
Who knows the formula to calculate the eigenvalues of total angular momentum between two different states? In particular, what is the matrix element of

<S, L, J, M_J | J^2 | S', L', J', M'_J> ?

Thank's...
I don't understand your notation. Your eigenkets should be either

[tex]|j_1 j_2; m_1 m_2\rangle[/tex]

or

[tex]|j_1 j_2;j m\rangle[/tex]

If you're using the second option, the problem is trivial, as Vanesch said, but the eigenvalue of J² is

[tex]\hbar^2 j(j+1)[/tex]

not j².

If you're using the first option, it gets much more complicated. In principle, you can calculate your matrix element if you first expand one of the kets in eigenkets of the second kind. The coefficients of the expansion are called Clebsch-Gordan coefficents.

I am agree with you. In fact I made bad the question, because my original problem is that I need to write eigenstate of J for three particles. Then J=j_1+j_2+j_3; to do this I have to fix the projection (for example M=1/2) and the three sets of single particles for which M=1/2 are (5/2,1/2, -5/2), (3/2,1/2, -3/2) and (5/2, -1/2, -3/2) named A, B, C. Now I have to build the matrix U of elements of J, that I arrive at the original question: for example U_12 is <A|J^2|B> where |A> and |B> are
the states written before, but they aren't eigenstates of J^2.
I found a formula that may be mine answer:

<A| J |B> = delta(j_a, j_b)*delta(m_a+-1,m_b)*sqrt ((j_b+-m_b)*(j_b-+j_b+1))

with |a> = !j_a, m_a>
I need to perform all this matrix elements and then I have to diagonalize this matrix to have the three coefficients to combine |A>, |B> and |C>, in order to have eigenstates of J.

Sorry for my first question that was badly formed!

1. What are eigenvalues of total angular momentum?

Eigenvalues of total angular momentum refer to the possible values that the total angular momentum of a physical system can take on. They are quantized values that describe the rotational motion of the system.

2. How are eigenvalues of total angular momentum related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the eigenvalues of total angular momentum arise from the quantization of angular momentum, which is a fundamental property of particles at the microscopic level. This quantization allows for the prediction of discrete values for the total angular momentum of a system.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues of total angular momentum?

The eigenvalues of total angular momentum are significant because they provide information about the rotational behavior of a system. They also play a key role in determining the allowed energy levels and transitions in atoms and molecules, making them essential in understanding the behavior of matter at the quantum level.

4. How are eigenvalues of total angular momentum determined experimentally?

Eigenvalues of total angular momentum can be determined experimentally through various techniques, such as spectroscopy and scattering experiments. These methods involve measuring the energy levels and transitions of particles, which can then be used to calculate the corresponding eigenvalues.

5. Can eigenvalues of total angular momentum change over time?

Yes, eigenvalues of total angular momentum can change over time. This is because the total angular momentum of a system can be affected by external forces or interactions with other particles. However, the eigenvalues themselves remain constant, as they are inherent properties of the system.