Deriving DOS of Bilayer Graphene Under Electric Field

In summary, to obtain the DOS of bilayer graphene subject to an external field, use the lorentzian broadened approximation with a small broadening factor. This can be calculated using the formula pi*rho(E)~ sum_i g/((E-e_i)**2+g**2), where e_i are the energies obtained from the Hamiltonian. However, there is no specific check available for the accuracy of the result.
Physicslad78
Hi all. Is there any place where I can check how to derive the DOS of bilayer graphene subject to an external field. I have got the Hamiltonian right and solved the eenrgies but then I am not sure how to obtain the DOS right..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Easiest thing to do is lorentzian broadened approximation.

pi*rho(E)~ sum_i g/((E-e_i)**2+g**2)

For some small g (the broadening), where e_i are the energies which you already have. If those are correct the dos should look correct, but I don't actually have a check for you, sorry. Also, apologies about the typesetting, I'm typing this on my phone. Cheers.

1. What is the purpose of deriving the DOS of bilayer graphene under electric field?

The purpose of deriving the DOS (density of states) of bilayer graphene under electric field is to understand how the electronic properties of the material vary with the presence of an external electric field. This is important for potential applications in electronic devices and for further research in the field of graphene-based materials.

2. How is the DOS of bilayer graphene under electric field calculated?

The DOS is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system, taking into account the presence of an external electric field. This involves using mathematical methods such as perturbation theory and numerical simulations to obtain the energy levels and corresponding DOS at different values of the electric field.

3. What factors affect the DOS of bilayer graphene under electric field?

The DOS of bilayer graphene under electric field is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the electric field, the thickness and stacking of the graphene layers, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. The type of electrical contacts used in the measurement setup can also influence the DOS.

4. What are the potential applications of understanding the DOS of bilayer graphene under electric field?

Understanding the DOS of bilayer graphene under electric field has many potential applications, including the development of more efficient and versatile electronic devices, such as transistors and sensors. This knowledge can also aid in the design of novel materials with tailored electronic properties for specific applications.

5. How does the DOS of bilayer graphene under electric field differ from that of monolayer graphene?

The DOS of bilayer graphene under electric field differs from that of monolayer graphene due to the presence of additional energy levels resulting from the interlayer coupling between the two graphene layers. In monolayer graphene, the DOS follows a linear dispersion relation, while in bilayer graphene, it has a quadratic dispersion relation due to the presence of two energy bands.