Tips For Algebraic Manipulation

In summary, the speaker expresses difficulty with algebraic problems, particularly in finding coefficients to express an arbitrary vector in terms of given vectors. They are looking for an approach to solve these types of problems more efficiently. They mention their professor's method of picking coefficients and provide an example.
freshlikeuhh
I have a really bad math background, so sometimes I struggle with or am just a little slow with some algebraic things, while I can handle more abstract stuff fairly well.

Lately I've been running into certain types of problems in my algebra class which are proving to be time-consuming for me, so I thought I'd express my difficulties and hope someone could offer some advice.

Given two vectors {(1,1), (1,2)}, I have to prove that they span the cartesian plane. So the way this is done is to express an arbitrary vector in the plane in terms of these vectors. Simple enough, but it's proving to take more time than it should for me.

So for this specific example, my professor expressed an arbitrary vector by "picking" the following coefficients:

(x,y) = (2x-y)(1,1) + (y-x)(1,2).

I know he just doesn't pick something that works and I know I shouldn't be expected to get a solution immediately. But how would I approach these type of mechanical problems, to find coefficients that work? It would be helpful to have an approach in mind and some way to achieve it, because whenever I run into these problems, it takes a long time (when I should be moving onto more important concepts).

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Say you have a known vector (a,b) you want to express in terms of (1,1) and (1,2):

(a,b) = A(1,1) + B(1,2)

Looking at the components on both sides will give you two equations in the two unknowns A and B which you can solve for A and B.

Try it with an example (a,b) = (1,-1); find the A and B that work.

1. What is algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation is the process of rearranging and simplifying algebraic expressions through techniques such as combining like terms, factoring, and using the properties of operations.

2. Why is algebraic manipulation important?

Algebraic manipulation is important because it allows us to solve complex equations and simplify expressions, making problem-solving in mathematics and science easier and more efficient.

3. What are some tips for solving algebraic equations?

Some tips for solving algebraic equations include starting with the basic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), using inverse operations to isolate variables, and checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. How can I improve my algebraic manipulation skills?

To improve your algebraic manipulation skills, practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common algebraic rules and properties. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources for additional practice and guidance.

5. Can algebraic manipulation be used in real-life situations?

Yes, algebraic manipulation can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, solving proportions in cooking or baking, and determining the cost of items on sale when applying discounts. It is a valuable skill to have in fields such as finance, engineering, and science.