SI Notation for Direct Current and Voltage Direct Current - Correct Usage?

In summary: Finally, here is a handy table of common current and voltage values:Current Voltage1 A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .5 A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
nathanlee52
Hi,

Looking for the SI Notation practices for Direct Current and Voltage Direct Current. We commonly use DC and VDC, but I wonder if that's correct per SI.

I've looked through several guides and pdf's of SI Notation, and haven't yet been able to find the answer. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds a bit weird when you say 'Direct Current' and 'Voltage Direct Current' even though DC does stand for Direct Current. I suppose its the whole technicality and ATM Machine argument.

DC Current SI unit is Ampere http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current" which is the same for AC Current.

DC Voltage SI unit is Volts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage" which is the same for AC Voltage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Zryn for your input and for the effort to link the wiki pages.

The SI system of unit uses the following notation:

Volts: V or volts (lower case) with a space after a quantity (e.g., 230 V or 230 volts)

Amperes: A or amps (lower case) with a space after a quantity (e.g., 22 A or 22 amps)

The IEEE recommends the following notation:

Volts in direct current: Vdc

Volts in alternating current Vac

Abbreviation of direct current in text: ac (lower case)

Abbreviation of alternating current in text: dc (lower case)

BTW, the terms "direct current" and "alternating current" do not refer to the intensity in amperes, but to the fact that the current does not change direction (dc) or does change direction (ac). Hence, it is fine to say "volts direct current" or "volts alternating current".

Alternatively (no pun intended), we could come up with new terms that do not use the word "current", such as "same polarity" and "alternating polarity". However, I think that most people will stick with "ac" and "dc".

I can confirm that the correct SI notation for Direct Current is I (capital letter "i") and for Voltage Direct Current is U (capital letter "u"). The use of DC and VDC is commonly used in everyday language and is an accepted abbreviation, but for scientific and technical purposes, it is important to use the proper SI notation. This ensures consistency and accuracy in measurements and calculations. I recommend referring to recognized sources, such as the International System of Units (SI) or the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), for further guidance on SI notation.

1. What is SI notation for DC and VDC?

The SI notation for DC (direct current) and VDC (volts direct current) is a standardized system used for representing electrical quantities in scientific and engineering calculations. It is based on the International System of Units (SI) and uses prefixes to indicate different levels of magnitude.

2. How is SI notation for DC and VDC used?

SI notation for DC and VDC is used to express electrical quantities such as voltage, current, and resistance in a concise and consistent manner. It allows scientists and engineers to easily work with numbers that are very large or very small, without having to write out all the zeros.

3. What are some common prefixes used in SI notation for DC and VDC?

The most common prefixes used in SI notation for DC and VDC are kilo (k), mega (M), giga (G), and micro (μ). Kilo represents 1000, mega represents 1 million, giga represents 1 billion, and micro represents 0.000001 (or 1/1,000,000).

4. How do you convert from SI notation to standard notation for DC and VDC?

To convert from SI notation to standard notation for DC and VDC, you simply need to move the decimal point to the right or left based on the prefix. For example, 1.5 kilovolts (1.5 kV) would become 1500 volts (1500 V) in standard notation.

5. Why is SI notation for DC and VDC important?

SI notation for DC and VDC is important because it allows for clear communication and understanding of electrical quantities within the scientific and engineering communities. It also helps to avoid errors and confusion that can arise from working with large or small numbers. Additionally, it is a globally recognized standard, ensuring consistency and accuracy in calculations and experiments.