Reformulating the Hamilton-Jacobi equation: A step-by-step guide

• Thread starter QuantumClue
  • Start date
In summary, the Hamilton-Jacobi equation can be re-formulated as |\nabla W| = \sqrt{2m(E-V)}, where W is the Hamilton's characteristic function and V is the potential. To rearrange the equation, one can make a separation by setting W(t,x,y,z) = -Et + W(x,y,z). This is a standard method if the Hamiltonian is time-independent.
QuantumClue
The Hamilton-Jacobi equation

[tex]\frac{\partial W}{\partial t}+\frac{1}{2m}\left[\left(\frac{\partial W}{\partial x}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial W}{\partial y}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial W}{\partial z}\right)^2\right] + V(x,y,z) = 0[/tex]

It is said that this can be re-formulated as [tex]|\nabla W| = \sqrt{2m(E-V)}[/tex].

This part is unclear. How do I rearrange the equation to fit that equation? I know the [tex]\nabla[/tex] is the gradient expressing the three dimensional rectangular coordinates, but I am unsure as to how to rearrange the formula completely so a derivation step-by-step would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think one makes a separation

[tex] W(t,x,y,z) = -E t + W(x,y,z) [/tex]

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
I think one makes a separation

[tex] W(t,x,y,z,t) = -E t + W(x,y,z) [/tex]

You have the time notation twice in the first parenthesis. Did you mean this?

Sorry, it's been corrected now. The separation is standard if the Hamiltonian is time-independent.

Ok thank you.

What is the Hamilton-Jacobi equation?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation is a partial differential equation in classical mechanics that describes the time evolution of a system in terms of its Hamiltonian and a function known as the action.

Who developed the Hamilton-Jacobi equation?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation was developed independently by William Rowan Hamilton and Carl Gustav Jacob Jacobi in the 19th century.

What is the significance of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation is significant because it allows for the complete description of a system's dynamics in terms of its conserved quantities, making it easier to solve problems in classical mechanics.

How is the Hamilton-Jacobi equation related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation is a classical limit of the Schrödinger equation, which describes the quantum state of a system. The two equations are related through the correspondence principle in quantum mechanics.

What are the applications of the Hamilton-Jacobi equation?

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation has many applications in classical mechanics, including celestial mechanics, fluid mechanics, and optics. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.