Henderson-Hasselbalch and PH buffer equation

• Thread starter ahhppull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer Ph
In summary, the question is asking to calculate the pH of a buffer made by mixing 50.0 mL of 0.10M acetic acid with 50.0 mL of 0.10M sodium acetate using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. The concentration of the base and acid can be found through dilution, and according to the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, the pH is determined by the pKa value of the acid. The effects of acid dissociation and conjugate base hydrolysis can be ignored due to their cancellation in most cases.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

Calculate the ph of a buffer made by mixing 50.0 mL of 0.10M of acetic acid with 50.0 mL of 0.10M sodium acetate. Use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Homework Equations

pH = pKa + log ([base]/[acid])

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do this problem if the 50.0 mL information isn't included. Does the volume even matter?

Heres my work without including the 50.0 mL
ICE TABLE
HC2H3O2 H3O+ C2H3O-
I .100 M 0.00 M .100M
C -x +x +x
E .100 - x x .100 + x

I get a concentration of 1.8E-5 M and pH will be 4.74

Physics news on Phys.org
ahhppull said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the ph of a buffer made by mixing 50.0 mL of 0.10M of acetic acid with 50.0 mL of 0.10M sodium acetate. Use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do this problem if the 50.0 mL information isn't included. Does the volume even matter?

Heres my work without including the 50.0 mL
ICE TABLE
HC2H3O2 H3O+ C2H3O-
I .100 M 0.00 M .100M
C -x +x +x
E .100 - x x .100 + x

I get a concentration of 1.8E-5 M and pH will be 4.74

What do the square brackets, [ and ] indicate?

sjb-2812 said:
What do the square brackets, [ and ] indicate?

Concentration in molarity

So, you have 50mL of 0.1M aetic acid solution, you mix it with 50mL of other solution - what is new concentration of acetic acid?

And why do you use ICE table after stating pH should be calculated using Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

.05 M? Do I put this for E of acetic acid?

I still need some help. I've been thinking and I think that I don't have to use an ICE chart. I think that using the henderson-hasselbalch equation is only needed.

pH = 4.74 + log [?]/[?]

(4.74 is from the -log(Ka of acetic acid)
I don't understand how to find the concentration of the base and the acid. I don't really understand buffers, but if you add the same amounts of acetic acid and sodium acetate, wouldn't the rate of dissociation be the same?

ahhppull said:
I don't understand how to find the concentration of the base and the acid. I don't really understand buffers, but if you add the same amounts of acetic acid and sodium acetate, wouldn't the rate of dissociation be the same?

Find concentrations just from dilution. Actually you can even use just number of moles of each substance, as the final volume is the same for both and it cancels out.

Your problem here (and understandable one) is that you want to calculate new equilibrium, assuming some acid dissociated and some conjugate bases hydrolized - while this is true, these effects in most cases are almost identical, so they cancel out and you can safely ignore them. Please read Henderson-Hasselbalch equation page that I linked to earlier.

What is the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the pH of a solution, the concentration of a weak acid or base, and the pKa of that acid or base. It is commonly used to calculate the pH of a buffer solution.

What is the significance of the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is important because it allows scientists to predict and control the pH of a solution by adjusting the concentrations of acids and bases. It is also used to understand how buffers work and maintain a stable pH.

What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid. Buffers are important in maintaining the pH of biological systems and in laboratory experiments.

How do you calculate the pH of a buffer solution using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

To calculate the pH of a buffer solution, you need to know the pKa of the weak acid or base and the concentrations of the acid or base and its conjugate. Then, plug these values into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([conjugate base]/[weak acid]).

What are some limitations of the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation assumes that the acid and base are present in equal concentrations, and it only works for weak acids and bases. It also does not take into account the effects of ionic strength or the presence of other ions in the solution. Additionally, the equation is not accurate for solutions with extreme pH values.