Is there any parallel in Complex Analysis to a surface integral?

In summary: There is an area in C^2, but it's not really something that we can think about intuitively. So it's not clear to me why the area won't work in this case either.
"pi"mp
I've been trying to work through this and see whether you can take an "area" in the complex plane, have x,y vary in some interval, and integrate complex functions over that "area."

The math doesn't seem to work out; plus intuitively, if you're going to sum up a function in a complex variable z, you better be able to say "I will sum up z from some z_a to z_b varied by a parameter t," but if we're looking at an "area" in the complex plane, we cannot say exactly what z varies from, only what it's components x,y vary.

I even tried two parameters in the plane and that didn't seem to yield. Is the reason because the complex plane is actually at 2D depiction of the 1-dimensional vector space C^1?? Therefore, the idea of a double integral over two parameters makes no sense?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are integrating some function of the complex variable, z, "z_a to z_b varied by a parameter t" then you are are integrating over a path in the complex plane, not an area.

right that was my point, it seems only a path integral can be used, not a surface integral. Just was hoping for an explanation.

Actually there is such a generalization. The surface integral is actually over dz dz*, where z* is treated as an independent variable. The simple change of coordinates accomplishes this z=x+iy and z*=x-iy. However the problem is that this change seems to be more of a formal transition, and the interpretation eludes me. If anybody finds any pedagogical overview of this, I would be happy to read it.

I think the fundamental issue is that the notion of area doesn't really make sense here. If you're dealing with a single complex variable, then the space is 1-dimensional over C. So the only way to get an idea of area is to treat it as R^2 and look at z=x+iy, but then you've changed the problem from one about C to one about R^2.

I think a parallel would be integration of 2-forms over C^2.

1. What is a surface integral in Complex Analysis?

A surface integral in Complex Analysis is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total flux or flow of a vector field over a two-dimensional surface in the complex plane. It is analogous to a line integral in one dimension and a volume integral in three dimensions.

2. How is a surface integral related to Complex Analysis?

A surface integral is an important concept in Complex Analysis as it allows for the calculation of complex-valued functions over two-dimensional surfaces. It is commonly used in the study of conformal maps and the Cauchy-Riemann equations in Complex Analysis.

3. Can a surface integral be evaluated using the same methods as a line integral?

Yes, the same methods used to evaluate line integrals can be applied to surface integrals in Complex Analysis. This includes the use of parametrization and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. Are there any applications of surface integrals in Complex Analysis?

Surface integrals have many applications in Complex Analysis, such as in the study of complex potentials, conformal mappings, and Cauchy's integral formula. They are also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields in two dimensions.

5. What is the difference between a surface integral and a contour integral in Complex Analysis?

A surface integral is used to calculate the flux or flow over a two-dimensional surface, while a contour integral is used to calculate the integral of a complex-valued function over a one-dimensional curve. In other words, a surface integral is a two-dimensional version of a contour integral.