Gift Ideas: Ipad or Netbook for Niece/Nephew

• Thread starter adamswiss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ipad
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether to gift a nephew with an iPad or a netbook. The netbook is seen as a more practical and cost-effective option, while the iPad is considered cooler and has a better interface and app selection. The issue of reliability and price is raised for the iPad, while the netbook is praised for its storage capacity and practicality. Ultimately, the decision may depend on the nephew's priorities and intended use for the device.
adamswiss
Should i have a Ipad or a netbook like eee pc?
As a gift for my little nephew.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd much rather have a netbook.

Netbook is cheaper and more functional. On the other hand, the Ipad is kind of cooler.

I like the iPad for some things. It has a very good interface, very responsive. Very simple to use. The apps are wonderful, though navigating the iStore is an eyesore. I think it comes down to what your nephew has for his priorities. To be more in the crowd, he might want an iPad.

I don't like the iPad because it is a little hit and miss for reliability. Make sure you extend that warranty. It doesn't have the same history as their other hardware. Overall, people seem pleased enough, though. Mine died the first week I bought it. Fortunately, Verizon simply handed me a new one (after nearly an hour fiddling with the first one). It's also much more expensive compared to a netbook. No USB or expansion ports and needs a PC to manage most files. Apple is now also wrangling with a bizarre security issue with their batteries, of all things.

Netbook? Not as cool to have and play with, but at least it's all there. And usually around 100 gigs or more of memory storage. Mine was cheap and I'm very happy with it. I think if I go with another tablet, it'll be the Nook Color. Maybe the Samsung Galaxy.

In short, an iPad is more toy and a netbook is more tool. The iPad feels more natural (I think it feels great and don't regret buying it), and I can see how receptive people are to it as they bring it with them on their work breaks. The more serious crowd seems to prefer the netbooks. But the iPad is overpriced, as nice as it is.

Oooh! The rich / generous uncle / aunt!

If it's to be their primary computer, and used as such, definitely the netbook (along with some instruction on how to use an external hard drive or Dropbox or some such).

If it's meant to be a toy / video viewer / whatever, possibly the iPad.

1. Should I buy an iPad or a netbook for my niece/nephew as a gift?

It ultimately depends on the needs and preferences of your niece/nephew. If they need a device for school or work purposes, a netbook may be a more practical choice. If they enjoy gaming, streaming videos, or using social media, an iPad may be a better option.

2. Are iPads more expensive than netbooks?

Generally, iPads tend to be more expensive than netbooks. However, there are a variety of netbooks available at different price points. It's important to consider the features and capabilities of each device to determine which is the better value for your budget.

3. Which device has better battery life: an iPad or a netbook?

iPads typically have a longer battery life compared to netbooks. This is because they are designed specifically for mobile use and have more advanced battery technology. However, battery life can vary depending on the specific model and usage habits.

4. Can both iPads and netbooks connect to the internet?

Yes, both iPads and netbooks can connect to the internet. However, iPads typically have built-in cellular data capabilities, while netbooks may require a separate Wi-Fi or data plan to access the internet.

5. Are there any major differences between iPads and netbooks in terms of functionality?

Yes, there are some key differences between iPads and netbooks. iPads are primarily designed for touchscreen use and have a more limited range of applications compared to netbooks. Netbooks, on the other hand, have a keyboard and trackpad for more traditional computer use and can run a wider range of programs.