Advice about a class I'm taking

• Thread starter Null_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the class is difficult, the professor is often wrong, and the tests are long and difficult.
Null_
The class is Calc III (multivariable), and I'm taking it online this summer. It ends in about two weeks, and I have 16 1-hour lectures left to watch.

This class is horrible. The professor simply reads out of the book then expands on these ideas. However, he is often wrong and spends 10 minutes explaining something incorrectly until a student in the class (filmed 5 years ago) corrects him. He then acts like it was no big deal. This happens nearly every lecture.

My situation: I watched every lecture for the first test and got an 85. I watched no lectures for the second test and got an 84. I watched all lectures for the third test and got an 86. He gives very little partial credit; I make a careless mistake unrelated to the topic we're covering, and I get less than half credit for the problem at hand, even if my method is 100% correct. There is one more test before the final, and I really want to pull an A in the course.

I cannot pay attention during the lectures as they are so ill-organized. Would it be horrible of me to just not watch any more? I've never had a class as bad as this one...

Further, I feel like I'm on the track to getting a B. I've gotten an A in Calc I and II, which were both harder test wise. I'm minoring in math and feel this class will reflect badly on that.

I suppose I'm just looking for a reason to continue teaching myself these last two weeks. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. I'm pretty bummed out over the class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Null_ said:
My situation: I watched every lecture for the first test and got an 85. I watched no lectures for the second test and got an 84. I watched all lectures for the third test and got an 86. He gives very little partial credit; I make a careless mistake unrelated to the topic we're covering, and I get less than half credit for the problem at hand, even if my method is 100% correct. There is one more test before the final, and I really want to pull an A in the course.

That's the part that sticks out to me. My Calc 2 teacher was like that. One little mistake and you would get about 3/10 for that problem, even for flipping a negative sign. I couldn't believe it but he made it very clear that he would give better partial credit on the homework than the test. So I had to really practice the details of what I was doing to earn an A on a test.

The tests were long and you didn't have enough time to recheck at all. So, I actually practiced timing myself on homework problems and then checking if I made any small errors over and over. It paid off in the end. Good luck.

You need to watch MIT's lectures, they once saved me. I hope they will save your life too.

DrummingAtom, I feel your pain..

flyingpig, I'll try that. After looking at the titles, though, they seem to not correspond directly with what we're doing in class. Time is getting tight, but I'll give at least two a shot. Thanks.

First of all, I am sorry to hear that you are having a negative experience with this class. It is important to remember that every professor has their own teaching style and sometimes it may not align with the way we learn best. However, as a scientist, I would advise you to continue watching the remaining lectures and try to make the most out of them. While it may be frustrating, it is important to have a good understanding of the material for your future studies in math and in your career.

I would also suggest reaching out to the professor or a teaching assistant for any clarification on topics that you may have trouble understanding. It is also worth noting that even though the lectures may not be the best, the material covered is still important and will be tested on in the final exam. So, it is in your best interest to continue studying and make sure you have a good grasp on the concepts.

If you feel that you are not getting the support you need from the professor, you can also try reaching out to other students in the class for help or join a study group. Additionally, you can always seek out additional resources online, such as videos or practice problems, to supplement your learning.

Lastly, I understand your concern about the impact this class may have on your minor in math. However, it is important to remember that one class does not define your entire academic career. As long as you are putting in effort and doing your best, that is what truly matters.

In summary, I would advise you to continue watching the remaining lectures and seek out additional resources for better understanding. Don't let this one class discourage you from pursuing your passion for math. Keep working hard and I am sure you will achieve your goal of getting an A in the course.

1. What is the best way to prepare for a class?

The best way to prepare for a class is to carefully read the syllabus and course materials before the class begins. It is also important to attend all lectures, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions. Additionally, setting aside dedicated study time and seeking help from the professor or teaching assistant when needed can greatly improve your understanding of the material.

2. How can I stay engaged and motivated in a class?

To stay engaged and motivated in a class, it is important to find ways to connect the material to your personal interests and goals. This can involve asking questions, participating in class discussions, and finding real-world applications for the concepts being taught. Additionally, setting achievable goals and rewarding yourself for reaching them can help maintain your motivation throughout the class.

3. What should I do if I am struggling in a class?

If you are struggling in a class, it is important to first identify the specific areas or topics that are causing difficulties. Then, seek additional help from the professor, teaching assistant, or tutoring services offered by the school. It may also be beneficial to form a study group with other students in the class to review material and discuss challenging concepts.

4. How can I effectively manage my time for a class?

To effectively manage your time for a class, it is important to create a schedule that includes dedicated time for studying and completing assignments. Prioritizing tasks and breaking them down into smaller, manageable chunks can also help with time management. Additionally, avoiding distractions such as social media and setting specific goals for each study session can help improve productivity.

5. What should I do if I am not interested in the subject of the class?

If you are not interested in the subject of a class, it is still important to approach it with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Try to find aspects of the subject that you do find interesting and focus on those. Additionally, seeking out real-world applications for the material can help make it more relevant and engaging. If needed, consider talking to the professor or academic advisor about potential alternative classes that may align more with your interests.