Why Does Water Stick to Clothes? Exploring Surface Tension

In summary, the reason why water sticks to clothing is due to surface tension and the orientation of charge groups on the molecules that make up the material. This causes the water to be attracted to the material, effectively "sticking" to it. It is not magnetism, but rather electric charge that is responsible for this phenomenon.
Jake
So this question popped up randomly to me for no reason: water seems to stick to clothing, but I was wondering why this is, since to me it seems it should just fall right off the clothes meaning you'd never have to dry them :wink:

I suppose mabye it has to do with surface tension, mabye the water between two fibers has enough surface tension to keep it in place? But still, why wouldn't it fall without breaking its shape?

Thanks for any help :smile: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Surface tension will keep things from getting wet.
For example you can "float" a needle in a glass of water.

If a material will get wet depends on the orientation of charge groups on the molecules that make up the material. (hydrophobic hydrophilic)
Some material will not get wet and you can indeed just shake the water off.

So in other words it's magnetic attraction that causes water to stick?

What does "orientation of charge groups mean", I'm a layman :P

Thanks, still trying to figure this whole thing out.

Jake said:
So in other words it's magnetic attraction that causes water to stick?

What does "orientation of charge groups mean", I'm a layman :P

Thanks, still trying to figure this whole thing out.
Magnetism is not involved.
It is electric charge, something like walking across the carpet and getting zapped by touching something metal.
Very simply many molecules have an electric charge with + side and a - side.
They can get locked into arrays that predominantly present one charge or the other at the surface.
Water has a predominant exposed charge also.
Equivalent charges repel each other, opposite charges attract.

1. Why do clothes get wet when they are submerged in water?

When clothes are submerged in water, the water molecules are attracted to the material of the clothes through a process called adhesion. This means that the water molecules stick to the surface of the clothes.

2. What causes the water to stick to clothes?

The water molecules have a property called surface tension, which allows them to stick together and form a cohesive layer on the surface of the clothes. This cohesive layer makes the water molecules stick to the clothes instead of breaking apart and falling off.

3. Does the type of fabric affect how much water sticks to clothes?

Yes, the type of fabric can affect how much water sticks to clothes. Fabrics with a tighter weave or smoother surface, such as polyester or nylon, tend to have less surface tension and therefore water sticks less to them compared to fabrics with a looser weave or rougher surface, such as cotton or wool.

4. Why do some clothes dry faster than others?

This is because of the different surface tension properties of the fabric. Fabrics with lower surface tension, like polyester, allow water to spread out and evaporate more quickly compared to fabrics with higher surface tension, like cotton, which hold onto water and take longer to dry.

5. Can the surface tension of water be changed by adding something to the water?

Yes, the surface tension of water can be changed by adding substances such as soap or detergent. These substances lower the surface tension of water, making it easier for water to spread out and penetrate the fabric, ultimately making clothes wetter.