Why Does Peak Intensity Not Double in a Double Slit Experiment?

In summary, the conversation is about a prelab for the Double Slit experiment. The first question is comparing the peak intensity when both slits are open to when only one slit is open. The second question is for a qualitative observation when the slit blocker gradually goes from blocking neither slit to blocking one slit. The conversation also includes a link to an image on Wikipedia that confirms the expected results for the first question and a discussion about the complexity of the second question in relation to using two equal sized slits.
Kyle91
Hey guys,

I've just got a couple of questions about this prelab I need to do for the Double Slit experiment.

And just to make sure this is clear (I have no idea whether the method used in this experiment is normal) we have a double slit and a slit blocker. The slit blocker is after the double slit that can be adjust so it blocks either, neither or both slits.

Now for the first question I have to compare (through calculations not data) the peak intensity of when both slits are open to when only one slit is open.

My thoughts are that when both slits are open the peak intensity would double simply because the two waves constructively interfere at their peaks to produce double the intensity. However this image: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/imgpho/muls2.gif from hyperphysics makes me think I'm wrong as it suggests the peak intensities are the same. Why am I wrong?

Also there's another question asking for a qualitative observation of what happens when the slit blocker goes gradually from blocking neither slit to blocking one slit. But I completely forgot to do this (massive prac) so could you please also confirm my suspicions?

I suspect that the peak would simply drop in intensity (though this may be proved wrong in my last question) and slowly gain a larger spread. As in, looking at that same link it slowly transforms from one to the other.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kyle,

So while searching for a diagram courtesy of Google, I found that the Wikipedia page actually had an image of exactly what you are looking for, and an explanation

I do hate to use Wikipedia like this but, easy is good. Check the "Overview" section image and explanation, it confirms exactly what you expected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

I believe the Hyper physics image labels the single diffraction pattern as an "envelope", this multiplies the diffraction pattern of the double slit giving it the same peaks, and dips as the single slit, plus many more. But the intensity is "not to scale".

Regarding your second question, it will be complex as we usually use two equal sized slits and you are effectively changing the size of one slit. I would be interested to know the result!

All the best

What is double slit peak intensity?

Double slit peak intensity refers to the phenomenon observed when light waves pass through two slits that are close together, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen behind the slits. The peak intensity refers to the bright fringes where the light waves constructively interfere with each other, resulting in a higher amplitude of light.

How is double slit peak intensity calculated?

The double slit peak intensity can be calculated using the equation I = I0cos2(θ), where I0 is the initial intensity of the light source and θ is the angle between the screen and the line connecting the two slits. This equation takes into account the interference of the light waves and the diffraction pattern formed by the slits.

What factors affect the intensity of the double slit pattern?

The intensity of the double slit pattern can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. The intensity also depends on the angle at which the screen is placed in relation to the slits, as well as the properties of the light source.

What is the significance of the double slit peak intensity in understanding the nature of light?

The double slit peak intensity is significant in understanding the wave-like nature of light. The interference and diffraction patterns observed in the double slit experiment cannot be explained by the particle theory of light, but are consistent with the wave theory. This supports the concept of light behaving as both a wave and a particle.

How is the double slit peak intensity used in other fields of science?

The double slit peak intensity is not only important in understanding the nature of light, but it also has applications in other fields of science, such as optics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy. It is used in experiments to study the properties of light and to measure the wavelength of light sources. It also has practical applications in technologies such as lasers and diffraction gratings.