A special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping

• Thread starter ait.abd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a mapping or transform that can produce a sequence of n bits without all 1's in the output, with the minimum number of bits k needed for the mapping. The domain and range of the mapping are defined, and it is noted that for linear mappings, the maximum number of bits required is n-1. The conversation also explores the possibility of non-linear invertible mappings, but concludes that there are no such mappings that can produce a sequence of length k bits (not n) without the all 1's sequence.
ait.abd
I want a sequence of [itex]n[/itex] bits without all [itex]1[/itex]'s in the output. What is the minimum number of bits [itex]k[/itex] given [itex]n[/itex] that can be used in any linear or non-linear invertible mapping that will produce such a sequence at output. For example, consider [itex]n=3[/itex]. I want to create a mapping that has all [itex]2^3=8[/itex] minus [itex]111[/itex] sequence. What is the minimum number of bits [itex]k[/itex] required that will produce such a mapping? In this example, for a linear mapping, I can see that [itex]k=2[/itex]. But with [itex]k=2[/itex], I am loosing [itex]3[/itex] sequences at the output and the overhead of this mapping [itex]k/n[/itex] is huge. Is there any other method or non-linear mapping that does this job with an overhead of [itex]k/n>2/3[/itex]. I need a specific answer to [itex]n=4[/itex] or general answer with any [itex]n[/itex] (reasonable range for me is [itex]n=2[/itex] to [itex]n=16[/itex]. Please guide me to any keywords that may help in my search for the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
ait.abd said:
I want a sequence of [itex]n[/itex] bits without all [itex]1[/itex]'s in the output. What is the minimum number of bits [itex]k[/itex] given [itex]n[/itex] that can be used in any linear or non-linear invertible mapping that will produce such a sequence at output.

You haven't defined the domain of mapping.
You haven't explained what it means to "use" bits in the mapping.

Domain of mapping is [itex]S=\{\text{All } 2^k \text{ sequences of k-bits}\}[/itex].
Range of the mapping is [itex]T=\{2^n-1 \text{ sequences of n-bits i.e. All sequences of n-bits excluding the all 1's sequence}\}[/itex]
By using I mean defining a mapping S to T. In case of linear mapping, the answer is straightforward that the maximum number of bits [itex]k[/itex] required are [itex]n-1[/itex]. My question is whether there are any non-linear invertible mappings/transforms that take [itex]k[/itex] bits and output a sequence of length [itex]k[/itex] bits (not [itex]n[/itex]) that doesn't contain all 1's sequence. I don't see any linear mapping fulfilling this criterion as [itex]k \le (n-1) [/itex] is always true for linear mappings/transform.
*I may not be using mapping and transform words in the strict sense. By mapping or transform I mean is there any [itex]t = f(s); t \in T, s \in S; t=t_1,t_2,t_3,...,t_k; s=s_1,s_2,s_3,...,s_n; s_p,t_p \in \{0,1\} [/itex]

ait.abd said:
My question is whether there are any non-linear invertible mappings/transforms that take [itex]k[/itex] bits and output a sequence of length [itex]k[/itex] bits (not [itex]n[/itex]) that doesn't contain all 1's sequence.

There are no invertible mappings like that. An invertible mapping has to be 1-to-1. The range can't have a smaller cardinality than the domain.

The minimum number of bits k required in any linear or non-linear invertible mapping to produce a sequence of n bits without all 1's in the output depends on the specific mapping used. In general, for a linear mapping, the minimum value of k is equal to n-1. This means that for n=3, the minimum value of k is 2, as you have already observed.

However, as you have also noted, using a linear mapping with k=2 means that there will be a loss of 3 sequences at the output. This is because with k=2, there are only 2^2=4 possible input combinations, but n=3 requires 2^3=8 possible output sequences. This loss is significant and may not be desirable in some cases.

There may be other non-linear mappings that can achieve the desired output without such a high loss. However, it is difficult to determine a specific value of k that will work for all cases of n. This will depend on the specific mapping used and the input-output relationship it follows.

One possible approach could be to use a combination of linear and non-linear mappings. This may help reduce the overhead and achieve the desired output without significant loss. Alternatively, you could also explore different types of mappings, such as bijective or affine mappings, to see if they can achieve the desired output with a lower overhead.

In terms of keywords that may be helpful in your search, you could look into "invertible mappings", "linear mappings", "non-linear mappings", "bijective mappings", and "affine mappings". Additionally, including the specific values of n and k in your search may also yield more targeted results.

In conclusion, the minimum number of bits k required in any linear or non-linear invertible mapping to produce a sequence of n bits without all 1's in the output will depend on the specific mapping used and the desired input-output relationship. Further exploration and experimentation with different types of mappings may help in finding a suitable solution for your specific needs.

1. What is a special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping?

A special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping is a mathematical function that maps a set of k bits (binary digits) to a set of n bits, where n is greater than or equal to k. This mapping is reversible, meaning that the original k bits can be recovered from the n bits, making it invertible.

2. How is a special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping different from a regular mapping?

A special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping is different from a regular mapping in that it is reversible. This means that the original input can be recovered from the output, while in a regular mapping, the input cannot be recovered from the output.

3. What are the applications of a special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping?

A special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping has various applications in cryptography, data compression, and error correction. It can also be used in encoding and decoding data in communication systems and in data storage systems.

4. How is a special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping useful in data compression?

By using a special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping, data can be compressed by reducing the number of bits needed to represent the data, while still allowing for the original data to be recovered. This can result in significant space savings and faster data transmission.

5. Can a special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping be modified for different levels of security?

Yes, a special invertible k-bits to n-bits mapping can be modified to achieve different levels of security. By changing the parameters of the mapping, such as the number of bits or the mathematical function used, the level of security can be adjusted to meet specific needs.