Schrodinger equation for potential drop

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation with a finite potential for x<0 and zero potential for x>0, and the coefficients for the solution to the Schrodinger equation. It is concluded that B-left is equal to 0 and A-left is non-zero, proving that a potential drop causes reflection. The process of finding these coefficients involves setting the two equations equal to each other and their derivatives at x=0.
cep

Homework Statement

Hello! I'm looking at a situation where there is a finite potential Vo for x<0, but zero potential for x>0. For a particle moving from left to right, I'm wondering what coefficients for the solution to the Schrodinger equation are equal to zero, and also how to prove that there is reflection even for a potential drop. hbar is h/(2π).

Homework Equations

Time-independent Schrodinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I'm thinking:

For x<0, ψ(x) = 1/√(k0)(Arighteik0x+Alefte-ik0x)
where k0 = √[2m(E+Vo)/hbar2]

For x>0, ψ(x) = 1/√(k1)(Brighteik1x+Blefte-ik1x)
where k1 = √[2m(E)/hbar2]

I think that Bleft is zero, as there is nothing to cause reflection past the potential drop. How can I prove this, and that Aleft is non-zero (ie, potential drop produces reflection)? I know that the wave function and its derivative must be continuous at x=0-- is that sufficient?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, it lost the sub/superscripts. Here are the rewritten equations

For x<0, ψ(x) = 1/√(k0)*(Arighteik0x+Alefte-ik0x)
where k0 = √[2m(E+Vo)/hbar2]

For x>0, ψ(x) = 1/√(k1)*(Brighteik1x+Blefte-ik1x)
where k1 = √[2m(E)/hbar2]

There's nothing to prove. Just state the reason you gave for why Bleft=0. That's enough.

... really? I'm skeptical-- the problem asks for a proof.

*proof that a potential drop causes reflection, not proof of which coefficient is zero.

If you know that B-left is 0 then you know what the form of the equation is on the right side (x>0)

Now its just a boundary condition problem. you need to find A-left and A-right so that the two equations match up at x = 0. Set the two equations equal to each other at x = 0 and also set their derivates to be equal at x = 0. Then its just 2 equations 2 unknowns.

You should find that for the two equations to match up A-left cannot be 0 and there's your proof of reflection

1. What is the Schrodinger equation for potential drop?

The Schrodinger equation for potential drop is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a potential energy field. It takes into account the particle's kinetic energy, potential energy, and the effects of time.

2. What is the significance of potential drop in the Schrodinger equation?

Potential drop in the Schrodinger equation represents the difference in potential energy between two points in a system. It is a crucial factor in determining the behavior of a particle in a potential energy field.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation for potential drop derived?

The Schrodinger equation for potential drop is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the Hamiltonian operator. It is a complex mathematical formula that takes into account the wave function of a particle and its potential energy.

4. Can the Schrodinger equation for potential drop be applied to all particles?

Yes, the Schrodinger equation for potential drop is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and can be applied to all particles, including electrons, atoms, and molecules. It is especially useful in studying the behavior of particles in a potential energy field.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Schrodinger equation for potential drop?

The Schrodinger equation for potential drop has many real-life applications, including the study of atomic and molecular structures, quantum tunneling, and the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. It is also used in developing new technologies, such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.