Differential equation, coupled oscillator, relative movement

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the differential equation for a given drawing, which is stated to be \mu \vec{r}''=-k \vec{r}, where mu is the reduced mass. The person mentions using a general solution in cartesian coordinates to show that the equation can be written in polar coordinates as mr''=-kr. They also ask for hints on solving the problem.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

Take a look at the drawing. Now I found out the differential equation for this is:

[tex] \mu \vec{r}''=-k \vec{r}[/tex] mu is the reduced mass

Now I shall show, with using the generel solution for this differential equation (in cartesian coordinates), that the differential equation looks like the following in polar coordinates:

[tex]mr''=-kr[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried it with inserting the solution in the first equation and take a look if I can reform it to the solution which I shall find out, but I just don't get there. Any hints?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• h.JPG
    h.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this really a homework question? If not, just look up reduced mass on wikipedia. If it is homework, you should write out an attempt, according to physics forum's rules (they are strict on this)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves the derivatives of a function and is often used to model physical systems and processes.

2. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in science to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They are particularly useful in physics, engineering, and biology to describe the behavior of dynamic systems and predict future outcomes.

3. What is a coupled oscillator?

A coupled oscillator is a system of two or more oscillators that are connected and influence each other's motion. This can result in synchronized or chaotic behavior, depending on the strength of the coupling between the oscillators.

4. How do coupled oscillators relate to relative movement?

In physics, relative movement refers to the motion of an object with respect to a reference frame. Coupled oscillators can exhibit relative movement as they interact and influence each other's motion. This can result in complex patterns of relative movement, such as phase locking or chaotic behavior.

5. What are some real-world examples of coupled oscillators?

Coupled oscillators can be found in many natural and man-made systems. Examples include pendulum clocks, fireflies flashing in unison, neural networks in the brain, and synchronized swimmers. They are also commonly used in electronic circuits and musical instruments.