Calculus based elementary physics

In summary, the speaker has completed two semesters of basic physics but needs to take a calculus based physics course. They are concerned about their calculus skills and the extent to which calculus will be used in the course. The speaker has a few days before the add/drop period ends and suggests sticking with the class to see how difficult it is. They believe that only basic derivatives will be involved, but mastery of the basic principles of calculus is important.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Although I have completed two semesters of basic physics, I'm going to need to take a calculus based physics course this spring. I am a bit concerned since it's been a while since I took calculus; does the course utilize calculus extensively (in terms of the amount of theorems one will have to know)...creatively (degree of manipulation of these theorems, one's familiarity with calculus)? I got a few more days before add/drop period ends.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what course you are going to take, but since this is your first calculus based physics, I believe only basic derivative will involves. You NEED to take that class anyway, why don't you stick on that class and see how bad it is...

In terms of the amount of theorems you have to know? No. In term of your mastery of the basic principle of calulus in the sense "geometrical, algebraic and physical(?) interpretations of calculus"? A lot.

What is "Calculus based elementary physics"?

"Calculus based elementary physics" is a branch of physics that uses calculus as its primary mathematical tool. It involves the application of calculus concepts, such as derivatives and integrals, to understand and solve problems related to motion, forces, energy, and other physical phenomena.

Why is calculus used in elementary physics?

Calculus is used in elementary physics because it provides a powerful and systematic way to analyze and model physical systems. By using calculus, we can describe and predict the behavior of objects and systems in motion, as well as understand the underlying principles that govern these behaviors.

What are some key concepts in calculus based elementary physics?

Some key concepts in calculus based elementary physics include position, velocity, acceleration, force, work, energy, and momentum. These concepts are all interconnected and can be described and analyzed using calculus techniques.

How is calculus based elementary physics different from algebra based physics?

The main difference between calculus based elementary physics and algebra based physics is the level of mathematical rigor and complexity. Calculus based physics uses more advanced mathematical tools, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze and solve problems, while algebra based physics relies on simpler algebraic equations and concepts.

What are some real-world applications of calculus based elementary physics?

Calculus based elementary physics has many real-world applications, including understanding the motion of objects in space, predicting the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics, designing bridges and other structures, and analyzing the motion of fluids in engineering and biology. It is also crucial in many fields of science and technology, such as astronomy, mechanics, and electromagnetism.