Finding Elements in Row Space of a Matrix: Solving for Belonging and Dependency

In summary, the conversation discussed how to determine if an element belongs to the rowspace of a matrix by finding the row basis and checking for consistency. It was also mentioned that the same method can be used to determine if an element belongs to the column space of a matrix. The relationship between the basis of the rowspace and the basis of the column space was also briefly mentioned.
EvLer
In my homework problem, I am supposed to find out whether an element belongs to the rowspace of a matrix. So, what I did is to determine the (row)basis of the matrix, dimension of it being one row less of the rows of the original matrix. So, instead of the linearly-dependent row I put the element and if the system turns out to be inconsistent I assume that it does not belong to the row space.
Is it correct to assume that? If I use dependency equation for the rows and the new row element would that give the same result? When I used it I got there are no solutions at all, I am not sure what it means because for being lin. indep. there has to be one solution: 0.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I decided to post the problem itself afterall:
2 1 3 1
1 1 3 0
0 1 2 1
3 3 8 2
and I need to determine whether X = [4, 1, 2, 5] and Y = [1, 2, 3, 4] belong to row space of the matrix.
The answer is X does, but Y does not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you need to find a linear combination of the row vector which yields X or Y.
Putting the row vectors (or a basis for the row space) as columns in A, you're asked to solve:
Ax=X and Ax=Y, (lousy notation, but A is a matrix, x is the unknown vector and X,Y are given)

How would you normally solve such an equation?

If I were asked to find out whether X belonged to the column space of a matrix, would I do the same thing, i.e. insert that column at the end (in augmented matrix) and see whether it is solvable?
Thanks a lot, my previous problem worked out!
And a follow-up question:
how are basis of rowspace and basis of column space related, besides the fact that dimensions are equal?

Last edited:
EvLer said:
If I were asked to find out whether X belonged to the column space of a matrix, would I do the same thing, i.e. insert that column at the end (in augmented matrix) and see whether it is solvable?

Yes. The way I look at Ax in this case is a linear combination of the column vectors of A. So Ax=b (for some vector b) has a solution if and only if b lies in the column space of A.

Thanks a lot, my previous problem worked out!
And a follow-up question:
how are basis of rowspace and basis of column space related, besides the fact that dimensions are equal?
Can't think of anything now.

What is the definition of "Belonging to row space"?

"Belonging to row space" refers to a vector or matrix being a combination of the rows of a matrix. In other words, it means that the vector or matrix can be expressed as a linear combination of the rows of a given matrix.

How does a vector or matrix belong to the row space of a matrix?

A vector or matrix belongs to the row space of a matrix if it can be written as a linear combination of the rows of the given matrix. This means that each element in the vector or matrix can be multiplied by a corresponding row element in the matrix and then added together to equal the vector or matrix.

Why is belonging to row space important in linear algebra?

Belonging to row space is important in linear algebra because it helps us understand the relationships between vectors and matrices. It also allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other operations, such as finding the rank and nullity of a matrix.

Can a vector or matrix belong to more than one row space?

Yes, a vector or matrix can belong to more than one row space. This is because there can be multiple matrices with the same row space, and any vector or matrix that can be written as a linear combination of the rows of these matrices will belong to their row space as well.

How can we determine if a vector or matrix belongs to the row space of a matrix?

To determine if a vector or matrix belongs to the row space of a matrix, we can use several methods, including row reduction and calculating the rank and nullity of the matrix. If the vector or matrix can be expressed as a linear combination of the rows of the given matrix, then it belongs to the row space.